Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a swollen penis tip (urethra entry) and have been passing

I have a swollen penis tip (urethra entry) and have been passing water a lot.
I had originally thought it was male thrush but have been using canesten cream for a few days and symptoms still remain.
I do not have any burning sensation when urinating.
Really just discomfort as penis tip is very sensitive and I am constantly aware of it.
Worried this could be an std.
Hi--just a swelling or is there also redness there? When was your last episode of unprotected sex?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There was redness originally but this has now cleared. Last episode of unprotected sex was about 2 weeks ago. However I had some of the symptoms (frequent urination) before and the swollen penis head very noticeable the following day a few hours later. I was travelling in Indian and Singapore which makes me think it may be related.
OK James. While this may be balanitis--male thrush as you called it--it could also be chlamydia or trichomonas--STD's--or a prostate gland infection. The best thing to do is to see a doctor for a urinalysis and urethral culture to get at the exact cause and to get appropriate antibiotics
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought stds symptoms took time to develop - rather than the following day? This has been constant for the period?
They can develop the day after but usually it takes more like three or four days. But again this may not be an STD but a candidal--thrush--infection and it may take oral diflucan tablets to eradicate it rather than just the canestan cream
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Final question - In your opinion does this sound more like thrush or an std? Given there is no burning sensation when urinating etc.
Much more likely to be thrush from what you've told me James but still a good idea to get it checked out. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you