Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a swollen penis tip (urethra entry) and have been passing

I have a swollen penis tip (urethra entry) and have been passing water a lot.
I had originally thought it was male thrush but have been using canesten cream for a few days and symptoms still remain.
I do not have any burning sensation when urinating.
Really just discomfort as penis tip is very sensitive and I am constantly aware of it.
Worried this could be an std.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--just a swelling or is there also redness there? When was your last episode of unprotected sex?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was redness originally but this has now cleared. Last episode of unprotected sex was about 2 weeks ago. However I had some of the symptoms (frequent urination) before and the swollen penis head very noticeable the following day a few hours later. I was travelling in Indian and Singapore which makes me think it may be related.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK James. While this may be balanitis--male thrush as you called it--it could also be chlamydia or trichomonas--STD's--or a prostate gland infection. The best thing to do is to see a doctor for a urinalysis and urethral culture to get at the exact cause and to get appropriate antibiotics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought stds symptoms took time to develop - rather than the following day? This has been constant for the period?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
They can develop the day after but usually it takes more like three or four days. But again this may not be an STD but a candidal--thrush--infection and it may take oral diflucan tablets to eradicate it rather than just the canestan cream
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Final question - In your opinion does this sound more like thrush or an std? Given there is no burning sensation when urinating etc.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Much more likely to be thrush from what you've told me James but still a good idea to get it checked out. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you