Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Hi, my 5 year old son has had a small lump in his kneck since

Hi, my 5 year old son has had a small lump in his kneck since he was very small - it is under the surface and looks like a swollen gland when he moves his kneck to one side. This has not concerned me until now as he has never complained of any pain or symptoms and is a healthy boy although very slim as does not have a huge appetite. I have now noticed 2 or 3 more on the other side but they only show as bumps under the skin when he stretches his head to the opposite side. I felt them and they do feel a bit like swollen glands but he says they do not hurt. Should i get this checked out by a doctor or is it something normal?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome!
If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
This is a very common concern among the parents that we see in our practice as a pediatrician.
These are normal neck lymph nodes, and if they are not painful, and mobile, then even multiple nodes are not a cause of concern.
However if they become large (significantly larger than a pea size, or become red / tender etc.) then you need to see your pediatrician,
Please get back for any clarifications,
Do leave a positive feedback too,
Dr Gupta, MD
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply and it is a great relief but wondered if you could just tell me why these are more prominent on some children and will they get smaller as he grows or could they keep multiplying? I just want to know what to expect?

Sue