Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Hello, I work in a manufacturing factory that use a lot grinding

Hello, I work in a manufacturing factory that use a lot grinding machines that grind steel 24/7. these machines leak vast amounts of vaporised contaminated coolant mist into the atmosphere of the factory. It has gotten a lot worse recently and a lot of people have been complaining of burning/itchy eyes, sore throats and breathing problems. Management and HR have been informed but turn a blind eye to our problem. Is there any test available that can test for oils/metals in the lungs and/or bloodstream. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

Tests are available to measure blood levels of different toxic metals found at workplace.In fact methods to measure the levels of these toxic metals and compounds have been described.

Dr.Amita :

I am giving below a couple of links which give much detail about these toxic metals and how to measure them.

Dr.Amita :

I am changing this to question and answer mode as you seem to be offline.

Dr.Amita :

You may ask any questions you may have on the issue

Customer:

Is there a test for the lungs

Dr.Amita :

No.The levels are measured in blood stream or at the workplace atmosphere

Customer:

we had a specialist come in and check the air, we never got the results but management said everything was ok. 6 people including myself got cancer in the last 2 years. do you know if I can anonymously get a doctor/specialist to come in and inspect the workplace

Dr.Amita :

That is a question best answered by a lawyer as I do not know if it is legal to do so and even if this is done how much would be the credibility of results obtained this way.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help Doc, have a good day.