Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I started taking the mini pill approx 3 weeks ago to try and

I started taking the mini pill approx 3 weeks ago to try and alleviate the pain and heaviness of my periods. I'm having a bleed at the moment and its just as heavy and painful as a normal period. Should I stop taking the pill as it's not having the desired effect or persevere??
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.

Dear Claire

I am Dr.Amita and I would be glad to assist you today.

Certain types of mini pills like Cerazette are more effective at decreasing the amount of bleeding and pain as these are more effective in causing an anovulatory cycle.A cycle where ovulation has not occurred is expected to cause less pain and bleeding.

For the cycle to be anovulatory the pill must be started within first 5 days of menstrual cycle for a normal cycle of at least 28 days.If the cycle is shorter the say 24 days the pill must be taken on day 1 or day 2.

Therefore if you have started the pill late ( you mentioned that you started it 3 weeks back) it would not be effective in this cycle.Even if you started the pill at the right time it may take more than 1 cycle for the pill to prevent ovulation.Considering the above points you should continue taking the mini pill and assess the effectiveness of the pill only by next cycle.

If you are not taking Cerazette ( contains Desogestrol ) you should shift to Cerazette as Cerazette is expected to be more effective in preventing ovulation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. That makes sense. The doctor that prescribed them didn't tell me any of that. Just advised to start taking straight away. I was a little concerned because I started 'spotting' last Thursday and its gradually got heavier and more painful but I'll persevere.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.

Dear Claire

Thanks for replying.

I do hope that you will get better results next cycle onwards.

Best wishes from my side.

I hope that I have been able to provide you excellent service.