Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

Hi, For several years I have had the following symptoms

For several years I have had the following symptoms which have not been resolved by my own GP.
Several times a day I experience a click in the left upper front area of the groin followed by constant dull pain within the left hand side of the back passage. This pain can last for several hours. However going to the toilet will very often relieve it.
The click sometimes occurs when I bend or sit down or pull heavier things towards me.
Another symptom is a general feeling of heaviness on the left hand side of the groin.
Christine.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 2 years ago.
Your symptoms are typically seen in people who have a labral tear. The labrum is the thick fibrocartilge tissue attached along the acetabular part of the hip joint. It is frequently torn due to a fall but may also get torn due pinching due to hip osteoarthritis.
It causes gradually progressing pain and often a clicking or snapping sound.
Another cause of your symptoms could be inflammation of the iliopsoas muscle and ligament. This is a ligament deep inside the hip and inflammation can cause these symptoms.
Please consult an orthopedic surgeon for help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for you diagnosis. Would an MRI scan determine the actual problem.

I had a fall on a staircase about 3 years ago which lead my GP to think it was my coccyx even though I have no pain in that area.

Can the concerns you mentioned be rectified.

Since tge pain started after you suffered a fall, chances are that you have a labral tear rather than a iliopsoas inflammation. Yes, an MRI would help diagnose the problem .
A small labral tear can be simply excised and removed. But a larger tear will need to be repaired. This can be done with a laparoscope (keyhole surgery) and healing is often very good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much doctor.

You have in such a short time been of more help than anyone before.

I am going to book myself in for a private MRI scan as my own GP does not think it is necessary.

You did say exercise might help repair a slight tear, I do a lot of walking and stair climbing is this beneficial and what would you recommend.

I am afraid that there has been a misunderstanding. I said excise, not exercise meaning removal of the torn edge of the labrum. And no, exercise would not help heal the tear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Mistake.

Many thanks for your help.

Christyine

You are welcome. I do hope you get an accurate diagnosis soon.
Please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.