Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have chronic upper right stomach pain. I have had blood

Customer Question

I have chronic upper right stomach pain. I have had blood tests X-ray and a ct scan. Report is that everything is normal. The pain I am getting is getting unbareable . Three different consults when admitted through a e have suggested MRI scan, butthe radiograph as rejected the request because of my past medical history and the expense of the test being more expensive than ct scan.. Aim sure they think the pain is in my head. I have not been able to work weeks because the pain is causing me problems with movementi.e.walking. This last two weeks everything I eat or drink burns my stomach.. I do have a sluggish bowel. I really need help prepare to pay because I cannot stand the pain much longer. Would a MRI show anything different than act scan
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
. Sorry to hear about this. First off--tell me all you can about the pain--its exact location, is it crampy, sharp, etc, is it constant or intermittent? Have you had upper endoscopy and a screen pylori?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pain pin point is just under my right breast in the middle , but the pain goes to the middle of my stomach, also goes round to the middle of my back. The pain is sharp and burning, it did come and go but now it is there all the time, and even with oral morphine it does not go away. Yes I have had the camera down three times. They found that in the first two that the stomach was inflamed, I did have that test,, and it was negative, but I have stayed by my choice since having my gallbladder out to stay on a gluden free diet. The third test I had had barnsley hospital and the surgeon said to me before I got on the table I know we are not going to find anything. At the end of the test he said I told you so, that day the pain was at its worst while he was doing the test
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All doctors I have seen want only to give me painkillers, butch now these have stopped working I need to know where the pain is coming from and. Why to get rid of it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Carol. I do think there's a problem here but it isn't in your abdomen. Rather this sounds like a disk problem in your thoracic or upper lumbar spine. you need an MRI of those portions of your spine. I think you've had sufficient tests to make me think this isn't an abdominal organ problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why would a spine problem cause me pain when I eat . I a normally very active, although totally blind I work full time, the cardiologist said the pain is so severe that is causing me angina pains. Also my question was what would a MRI show different from a ct scan.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The MRI would be of your spine and it is better than a ct scan purpose. It wouldn't show anything more specific than a ct scan if we're talking about your abdomen. One other thing though--have you been checked with serum amylase and lipase levels?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have not been tested .. This started about 12 months ago. I went to barnsley ae with these pains, straight away after X-Ray was sent home nothing found. Went straight to Wakefield hospital, ae and after tests X-ray ultra scan found that my gallbladder was full of stones, they operated that night and took away the whole gallbladder. months after I felt ok, then the pain started to come back and every week it as got worse
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK You definitely need the pancreatitis check Carol. It's also possible that this could be an intestinal adhesion problem from the surgery and in that case an MRI of the abdomen might show that. At the least discuss everything I've mentioned to your doctors and see if they'll do the further studies. I really can't help you with getting them to do the right thing here but hopefully I've given you some guidelines. Please let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a appointment with a bowel consultant yesterday. I asked her if I could have the tests you suggested she said You have all the tests, my daughter said what date was that done, she went away, came back said your file is so big I have not time to go through it. But you did have the camera up in 20013. You have had a ct recently, and camera down reasonly, I said yes I had but although 3 different consultants have requested MRI the radiograph as rejected it. Reason given due to my past medical history, too many tests done. She did not even examine me. Her answer to what you suggested about the intestinal adhesion was not possible you would be dead with peritinitus.
She said I will see you in 3 months. She did suggest pain clinic and I said I want pain relieve , but I really want to know where it is coming from.
I told her I Weill travel anywhere and go private I am in so much pain. Do you have any advice on where I can go do you work privately, and where do you practice. I do feel in my heart that the pain is so extensive a MRI would be very useful. I went to GP who said to arrange a MRI private he would need a reason, I said constant pain is a reason, he said no. I have done nothing , no shopping, only bought grandchildren presents online, not even cleaned up, or got tree up, I am in so much pain. Do. Not know what to do next because it need note from doctor to go privately.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear that Carol and she was wrong about having to have peritonitis adhesion problem. Unfortunately I'm in the US so I can't see you myself. Tell your GP about my thoughts about your spine and ask him again about the spine MRI
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know it is not my back the pain is in my front right upper abdormon.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It still could be your back since a disk problem can radiate pain into the abdomen. At least discuss that with your GP and also tell him that abdominal adhesions can occur after any abdominal surgery and it doesn't take peritonitis to acquire them. I really can't suggest anything more than that but let me know how it goes with your GP and, again, please consider rating my service to you Carol
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did say to my GP about the abdominal adhesions after surgery and he agree. But he was not able to suggest anything else. I told him I immediately need to pay private I am in so much pain I need a MRI He told me to look one up, when I have found one I want to go to, he will personally contact them. It is not easy being Totaly blind going on the internet to find a consultant I thought that was least he could have done . It took me two days to find a hospital in nottingham.. I contacted them appointment Waiting foe them to get back to me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Good Carol and let me know how it goes--hope your Christmas was a good one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have not got back to me . It seems they have been closed over the holidays until Monday. I am glad you told me about the possibility of a adhestion. The pain is so prominent in same place, pain not going away, I am sure a mri will find the problem. If they do I will make sure I sue Barnsley hospital staff the unnecessary pain they have put me through.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Keep me informed as to how things go Carol
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went mri. The results say in the report I have a under distended small bowel and stomach which cannot be evaluated. A simple 3.5 simple cyst in left kidney. It also states I have spine problems, like you stated earlier. What does under distended small bowel mean why can't it be evaluated.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What exactly did the report say?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Findings. There are normal appearances of. The liver with no focal lesion. The patient has had a previous cholecystectomy. There are normal appearances of the intra and extra hepatic bilary tree. There are normal appearances of the spleen, pancreatic duct, adrenals and right kidney. A 3.5 cm simple looking cyst
Is seen in the left kidney. The stomach and proximal small bowel are under distended and therefore cannot be evaluated. There are no significant enlarged upper abdominal or para aortic lymph nodes. There is no fluid in the abdomen. There is scoliosis of the lumber sacral spine with degenerative change at L3/4 legal.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--nothing serious then. It just meant there wasn't a lot of gas in the stomach and the intestines and therefore they couldn't be visualized well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the best way to get the intestines and stomach investigated well
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
A ct scan with IV and oral contrast