Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi ive had constipation and been taking fybogel which has left

Hi ive had constipation and been taking fybogel which has left me with a lot of rectal pressure and now have pain in my tailbone/buttock area is this normal
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

have you had a bowel movement to move that constipation out of your system?

Dr. David :

you might need an enema to help move the stools out of your pelvis.

Dr. David :

you should be drinking lots and lots of water and fluids

Dr. David :

medications like fibrogel and enemas and laxatives need extra fluid out of your blood system to help start to move constipated stool out of your bowels.

Dr. David :

have you ever used laxatives and enemas before to help fix constipation?

Dr. David :

if you can't give yourself an enema, you might need to go to the hospital or urgent care center to have a nurse there help you.

Dr. David :

they cell fleet enemas over the counter at the local drug store or boots store.

Customer:

My constipation has now eased so I stopped taking the fybogel yesterday to try get my body back to normal but am trying to drink more fluids. It has just left me feeling sore?

Dr. David :

that soreness can be normal.

Dr. David :

it will get better with time.

Dr. David :

so you have been having bowel movements?

Customer:

I have been having bowel movements while taking the fybogel but with taking that and additional fluids and fruit it left me feeling like I needed to open my bowels all the time even when I didnt so have stopped taking it but am now left with the pain?

Dr. David :

you should see your GP doctor and get a rectal and anal finger examination.

Dr. David :

you could have sore hemorrhoids there or an early anal fissure causing rectal pressure and pain.

Dr. David :

there are treatments for inflamed internal hemorrhoids such as a steroid suppository which can help ease internal inflammation.

Dr. David :

these steroid suppositories would be prescription and would be prescribed by your doctor.

Dr. David :

when was the last time you saw your GP doctor?

Customer:

I did see my gp on friday who said it was anal fissure causing pain with bowel movements but I thought that was better now. Could that be causing the pain still?

Dr. David :

yes, anal fissures can take some time to heal up.

Dr. David :

did he do a rectal anal finger examination?

Dr. David :

taking in more protein and vitamin C can help your anal fissure heal up.

Dr. David :

anal fissure pain are in the anal canal and painful when you have large hard bowel movements

Dr. David :

if the pain is more internal in the buttocks rectal sacral tailbone area, this is most likely not an anal fissure, but more likely internal inflamed hemorrhoids.

Customer:

Yes he did it was sore but I didnt have the pain in my tailbone that I have now I didnt know if that was due to the fuller bowels with the additional fibre

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

well, you might need to cut down on your fiber for a bit.

Dr. David :

too much fiber sometimes can irritate the bowels

Dr. David :

you might need to switch to something else like metamucil or ducolax or eating prunes.

Dr. David :

sometimes less irritating on your bowels.

Dr. David :

fibrogel might not be right for you.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

Dr. David :

you can always reach me here if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Customer:

Do you think its worth going back to gp to check if internal hemorrhoids instead of anal fissure or waiting for few more days with less fibre for pain to go?

Dr. David :

I would stop the fibrogel and see if your symptoms get better.

Dr. David :

it could be just irritation from the type of fiber supplement you are using.

Dr. David :

if your symptoms don't get better in a 1-2 weeks, then you need to go back to your GP and see if you have internal hemorrhoids which are inflamed which need treatment.

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician