Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Introduction: I was wondering if you could assist with the

Introduction:
I was wondering if you could assist with the below query.
On Monday morning, I noticed slight itching in the upper groin area. It lasted for about 30 seconds. Then nothing while I was at work.
After work, I changed into a pair of jeans and went shopping for groceries. While shopping, I had some itching for about ten minutes or so in the upper groin area. It wasn't too bad. When I got home, I checked and had a look and saw what seemed to be a single open sore. It was very small, no more than 2-3 millimeters in diameter. It was red with a reddish rim around it (possibly from scratching). I could not see anything coming out of it and it was not painful. In fact, I have not experienced any pain at all from this sore. It was kind of moist. I would also add that it wasn't a blister, or at least wasn't when I saw it but could have been before I noticed. I can't tell for sure one way or another (maybe the sore was there before Monday but I didn't notice it till Monday).
The sore is located almost half way between the penis and bellybutton, but a bit closer to the penis. There are no other sores.
The next day, Tuesday, the sore seemed to dry up with some scab forming on it. Also, the reddish rim seemed to be disappearing or turning into yellow? I didn't experience any itching or pain at all on Tuesday.
On Wednesday, the sore seemed to be getting even better and smaller. No pain or itching. Thursday, the scab seemed to be getting ready to fall off . Again no pain or itching. Friday, the scab seems to have gone (only the edge of the scab seems to be left). I would say it's almost healed.
Some relevant background:
- I'm married and absolutely certain that my wife is STD free
- The last sexual encounter that I had that could have exposed me to any STD is just over 2 years ago. There were some encounters before that that could have exposed me to STDs (intercourse was always protected but oral not always)
- I have no previous history of catching any STD
- I have not previously had any symptoms that are as close as this to an STD (I had some previous concerns that were ruled out after online consultation with Drs)
My questions:
I did a bit of online research and the only STD this could, at least in theory, fall under is HSV2.
Considering all the above, are the symptoms described consistent with HSV2, particularly considering duration, single sore, lack of pain, etc? Could this be the symptom of another STD?
If there is any chance at all that this could be HSV2 or any other STD, I will get tested for peace of mind.
If you need any further information, please let me know.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

I am Dr.Amita and I would be glad to assist you today

Dr.Amita :

The lesion you describe is not consistent with lesion of any STD.HSV causes blisters which usually occur in groups.Solitary lesion is uncommon.Usually symptoms such as tingling , burning etc... occur before the blisters appear.

Dr.Amita :

The blisters may be accompanied by flu like symptoms

Customer:

Thanks. I was wondering if it could be mild symptoms like, which aren't uncommon as I understand

Customer:

Well inhale a cold at the moment, almost recovered. It started last Friday. Runny nose, cough, tiredness, etc. But no fever

Dr.Amita :

Herpes infection can occur without any symptoms but with the history you have provided it is extremely unlikely that this would be HSV 2 infection

Dr.Amita :

The flu like symptoms may include fever, body aches , tiredness but cough and runny nose are not a part of symptom complex of herpes infection.In presence of runny nose and cough viral naso pharyngitis is the likely cause of flu like symptoms.

Customer:

Ok thanks very much. Any idea what could cause such sore as I described? I have pictures if that would help

Dr.Amita :

It may have been just a small pustule which is common in the location you describe.

Customer:

Ok thanks a lot.

Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience: MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.