Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi, I want to establish my HIV risk... I met a lady in

Customer Question

I want to establish my HIV risk...
I met a lady in Uganda and ended up going back to the room stupidly. I was very drunk and felt ill so I know for sure no penetration took place with a condom or otherwise.
I also know that no oral sex took place. However, we did have mutual masturbation and the thing that concerns me is on one of my fingers I have a very tiny wart/ sore type thing although I don't think this was actually open to the elements at the time. If, say, I had the finger inserted I guess there would be an elevated risk to hiv??
Also, I dont know how, and this could be completely unrelated, but I have a slight tenderness in my testes.. no painful urination, growths, rashes etc... so what could this be??
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

Not at all.

Dr Basu :

I am giving you opinion based on several studies on risk of HIv transmission from this type of low risk sexual exposures.

Dr Basu :

The risk is infinitesimally low.

Dr Basu :

From such type of exposure only one encounter out of 10000 such encounters results in HIV infection assuming the girl has HIV.

Dr Basu :

So you can see this does not even warrant a HIV testing as per current recommendations.

Dr Basu :

The reason being there is no direct blood to blood contact with significant amount ( this is important part significant amount).

Dr Basu :

And vaginal fluid is less contagious than blood.

Dr Basu :

So the risk becomes so low.

Dr Basu :

Best wishes,

Dr Basu :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Infectious Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

JACUSTOMER-ibalus3i- :

so why do you think my testes are tender

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, so why do you think I have an intermittent ache/tenderness in my testes

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
The most common explanation is muscle spasms either from anxiety or from rubbing against your clothes--that does point to any HIV risk.
Another little posssibility can gonorrhea or chlamydia but they usually cause burning sensation with urinatio or penile thick white discharge.
So that risk is also low.
I will not worry about STDs at this point.
You can try ibuprofen for 3 days which should help with pain.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, well I am a bit of a worrier I'm afraid (as I live in Dubai and fly for a living) so I went for a full screening yesterday which is 12 days after the exposure. I guess, if hiv were to be present, then it wouldn't show anyway during that time frame

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
HIV also can show up by this time frame in over 90% cases.
In fact these tests are very sensitive nowadays.
negative tests just confirm what I said before.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, thanks for your help, so just to finish... it would be more common for a blood to blood scenario through anal sex perhaps.

And finally, do most people go through this initial HIV phase whereby they get the triad of symptoms rash, sore throat and fever?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Yes more common with blood contact.
No these symptoms are not specific for HIv --just a myth.
These symptoms are commonly seen even with flu virus or any cold virus as well.
HIV related symptoms will be remarkable neck gland swellings ( like buffalo neck) which will persist more than 2 weeks also associated with high grade fever ( usually above 101 F) lasting more than a week.
Do not worry
best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks for your help I will be giving up the beer in future.

And I should not sit here sweating waiting for the results??

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Very welcome.
No need to worry.
Enjoy your life with protection in future :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, something which has just occurred to me is that if I have clamydia then will that not aid the passage of hiv. I have heard that other STD's can be used as a vehicle??

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Yes to some extent that is true, only if you got chlamydia from the same sexual activity.
Best wishes,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would expect that the chlamydia was down to the hand contact or the momentary oral (it was literally just 1 second) that she performed on me. So would this be enough to transmit either chlamydia or hiv.

I appear to have some symptoms developing at 14 days but this could be the stress. No rash and my glands are only very minutely inflamed due an earlier cold last week

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
No still very low risk.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just one last thing and I will be out of your hair.
I took a single dose of an antibiotic 'di something.
Would you expect a headache and a tickly cough
24 hrs after taking? I think this may be the worry
as am layed awake sweating and checking my glands
every 5 seconds
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dicloxacillin.
yes possible.
Most likely you are anxious and these symptoms are just due to that.
Do not worry
Best wishes,