Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

There was protein & ketones found in my urine what can that

There was protein & ketones found in my urine what can that mean?
I had a urine test after discovering blood in urine after exercising and a friend detecting odor in urine that I couldnt smell
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Was there also any white blood cells or bacteria found? Also, how long after your last meal was the test done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They didnt tell me about any bacteria or white blood cells, the sent it off to lab today. They just mentioned proteins etc

I did do a workout before going and all i had was a glass of water

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I did have a urine infection also

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Mary. The ketones were most likely there just from it's being a while since your last meal before the test was done. The protein may have indicated a urinary tract infection but there also should have been white cells in the test so you need to check on that part. If you were spilling protein without an infection then you'd need to have your serum creatinine and BUN levels to check on your kidney function
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They did say I had a urine infection and I was given Trimethoprim

What causes that?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, urinary tract infections are fairly frequent in women and mostly its from bacteria in the vagina getting into the bladder through their very short urethras. Nothing too serious about it since it's easily treated with antibiotics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would that explain the protein and ketones in the urine and the blood in the urine that I was worried about.

Also I did a liver flush a couple of weeks back. Have you heard of a liver flush & would you say doing that is a waste of time/scam

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, like I said before, with a urinary tract infection in the bladder there will be protein in the urine. Ketones in the urine occur when there's been some time between one's last meal and when the test is done and it's nothing serious. And yes, things like liver flushes are scams