Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had an uncomfortable tightness in my chest and upper

I have had an uncomfortable tightness in my chest and upper back for a week. I have a heavy cough, bringing up a pale green phlegm, and am breathless and wheezing with minimal effort. It has got worse in the last few hours, and I'm now breathless whilst sitting at rest. My own GP can't see me until Monday. What do you think it is, and what can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. It sounds like you have, at the least, an asthmatic bronchitis lung infection but it may have progressed to the point of a pneumonia and you need evaluation now with an exam and a chest x-ray and you're going to need both antibiotics and an inhaler for the wheezing. This is an urgent situation so you need either to go to A&E or an urgent care center right away