Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi I had pneumonia in june of this year I have recently got

Customer Question

Hi I had pneumonia in june of this year I have recently got the flu and pneumovax vaccines. My lung x rays have come back clear..no scarring etc... im so scared ill get pneumonia again. I take 1000mg of vitamin c a day along with garlic tablets aloe vera and a probiotic what are my chances of contracting pneumonia again?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you had pneumonia in June.

Dr. David :

that is good you got the flu and pneumovax vaccines.

Dr. David :

you need to make sure you don't smoke.

Dr. David :

smoking will weaken your lungs immune system.

Dr. David :

the best thing you can do is to exercise regularly and stay healthy and wash your hands frequently to prevent pneumonia and infections.

Dr. David :

your chances of getting pneumonia again are low if you exercise, and don't smoke and stay healthy and wash your hands frequently.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you had pneumonia in June.

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

you need to make sure you don't smoke.

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the pneumovax vaccine really prevent pneumonia?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
it can help decrease your chance of pneumonia

nothing will prevent pneumonia in 100% of cases

but it can help

also eat healthy and exercising can help improve your lung health and strengthen your lung immune system.

do you exercise regularly?

I hope you don't smoke.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off we don't know you actually had pneumonia back in June and, if you did, whether it was pneumococcal pneumonia since the vaccine would only protect you from that particular infection and from getting it again. Second, we don't know if you have other risk factors besides smoking such as COPD, asthma, diabetes, etc. You also need to have the air quality checked in your home. Finally, you need an immune supporting diet as outlined in this bookhttp://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/super_immunity_book.aspx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you yes it was pneumococcal and Ii still have a very reactive airway..cold weather, smoke etc.. I don't smoke though ..I wrap up when in cold weather but I'm terrified to go out too much in case i get it again
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

very reactive airway can be from asthma or allergies.

bronchodilators can help open up your airways and even steroid inhailers can help decrease inflammation of reactive airways to keep them more open

and open airways are less likely to collect fluid to develop into pneumonia

you should see a pulmonologist and get a pulmonary function test to check your airways

and see if a bronchodilator will help keep your aiways open.

have you had a pulmonary function test to check your lung function and to see if it improves after a bronchodilator?