Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi My daughter has been suffering with severe panic attacks

Customer Question

My daughter has been suffering with severe panic attacks for some time now. She has seen her GP who has prescribed antidepressants etc and which seem to make things worse and is also seeing a psycologist.
I know that there is a very real bi polar disorder that runs in our family with my wife's mother (her grandmother as well as her cousins etc) having spent most of her life in a mental hospital with manic depression. Further my wife and her siblings (2 of which have spent time in a mental hospital) also have these tendancies. Unfortunately my wife and everybody else in the family because of the family history will not address this bipolar issue and which seems to run in my wife's side of the family.
I have been reading through the web pages on bi polar disorder this evening following a really bad panic attack by my daughter earlier and noticed each and every page states that antidepressants in this type of situation make things worse. This ties in with my experiences with my daughter.
In summary I as her father think she is suffering from bipolar disorder and this is what is causing her panic attacks. How can I get her to a psychiatrist who can evaluate her in light of the bipolar syndrome which seems to run in our family. We live in Cheltenham and my daughter is 24 and currently works for the NHS at Cheltenham Hospital.
Athol
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

the best thing to do is to go with her to her doctor or psychiatrist appointment and discuss the case with the psychiatrist and ask for bipolar medications to be tried for her.

Dr. David :

would your daughter be willing for you to go with her to her next doctor's apppointment?

JACUSTOMER-9jsw5mr9- :

Dr David

JACUSTOMER-9jsw5mr9- :

I will go with her to see her doctor and tell him about my concern about bipolar disorder possibly being the source of the problme.maybe ask that he refer her to a psyshiatrist

JACUSTOMER-9jsw5mr9- :

Dr. David :

you are welcom

Dr. David :

welcome

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you and your daughter.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

JACUSTOMER-9jsw5mr9- :

Ok will do and many thansk

Dr. David :

she does need to see a psychiatrist.

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

thanks.