Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi,I puff away on an electronic cigarette throughout the

I puff away on an electronic cigarette throughout the day. I gave up smoking two years ago but I still find the 'need' to puff regularly on the e-cig. I am desperate to know whether or not I am in fact killing myself! I am 51 and have two children, one who is only 7. Can you help?
Janie Reynolds
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Janie,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jane
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Phil,

Yes, I do. Thanks

Janie

Hi Janie
The consensus is tha they are not nearly as bad as regular cigarettes
but we still believe they are harmful
they contain nicotine and unknown chemicals
but you are better off with these as opposed to cigarettes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I pressed the wrong button. I didn't mean to record that I was dissatisfied. However, I did feel the answer was far too brief. It was a 'layman's' answer. I didn't learn anything new.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello Janie.

The problem is that there are not yet any studies that define the risks associated with these e-cigarettes. And since the adverse health effects of cigarettes are not usually seen for decades, studies that define the risks of e-cigarettes are also likely to not clearly define the risks of e-cigarettes until they have been available for a much longer period of time.

However, it is certainly reasonable to assume that many of the systemic risks of cigarettes can also be related to the e-cigarettes, such as heart disease and stroke, although the exact magnitude of the risk cannot yet be stated.

The risk from cigarettes that appear to be largely due to the smoke, such as chronic lung disease and lung cancer, will likely be much lower with the e-cigarettes, since it does not have the tar and the by-products of combustion. However, the uncertainty is whether there would be a risk associated with the miscellaneous chemicals that are present in the e-cigarettes, as the other expert has stated.

So, at this point, with no clinical studies to identify and clarify risk, the best that can be said is what the other expert stated - they probably do carry some risk that cannot be well stated, but are almost certainly better than regular cigarettes. It would be better if you could not puff on anything, but if you must puff, the e-cigarettes will likely be ultimately proven to be safer than cigarettes.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.