Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

Pls advise how to handle this . The skin at the back of my

Customer Question

Pls advise how to handle this . The skin at the back of my handS is thick and wrinkled like a 75yr old woman's. My pail is hard. I am only 45. PLS TELL ME WHAT TO DO.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing medical information for you today.

Dr. C. :

Usually the recommendation for these symptoms would be to apply a thick layer of moisturizing ointment , cream or something like beeswax at bedtime and wear light gloves. During the night the moisture will absorb into the skin and improve the overall health. But it's not really possible to say whether you have a more unusual situation without examining your skin. Most often the skin on the hands becomes thickened and wrinkled due to sun exposure and drying, especially if the person needs to wash their hands often. This strips the natural oils from the skin and allows for increased drying and skin damage.

Dr. C. :

It's also possible to reverse skin damage with prescriptions medications such as Retin-A. This a research supported treatment for removing age related wrinkles from the skin.

Dr. C. :

Preventing further excessive sun exposure is protective as is drinking a lot of water. Dehydration can contribute to premature skin aging. Alcohol intake if excessive can lead to chronic dehydration and increase skin aging.

Dr. C. :

There may be an additional skin condition present that requires additional recommendations and treatment. This would be diagnosed by examination by a dermatologist. If necessary a biopsy could be taken if it appears to be something not easily identifiable.

Dr. C. :

I see that you were typing but I don't see anything typed.

Dr. C. :

Please reply if you have any additional questions or I can clarify or provide more details.

Dr. C. :

I hope this information has been helpful so far.

Dr. C. :

The type of gloves that are easiest to use are thin white gloves that are disposable and used in professions that handle paper or other things that need to be kept clean in handling. But regular gloves work fine too.

Dr. C. :

These are the type of gloves I'm talking about:

Dr. C. :

http://www.dickblick.com/products/soft-white-cotton-gloves/

Dr. C. :

They're found in art supply stores.

Dr. C. :

But regular gloves work fine if not too distracting while sleeping. Because the gloves will get layered with ointment inside, it works best to just designate a pair of gloves for this purpose.

Dr. C. :

The ointment should be fairly thick, a beeswax works especially well.

Dr. C. :

If there is an underlying skin condition, some people find that avoiding gluten in the diet can help. Some people have eczema or psoriasis affecting the hands that can cause the skin to get thickened and wrinkled. They can have complete reversal by following a gluten free diet.

Customer:

Yes Dr. I have tried creams containing beeswax, shear butter , petroleum jelly etc, etc. I observed my father had the same problem in his lifetime. My elder brother also has the same wrinkled and hard skin. Do you think this is hereditary? Should I see the GP for examination and referral?

Dr. C. :

Yes we do know that there are genes that control to connective tissue in the body including the skin of the hands.

Dr. C. :

The correct doctor for best advise on how to delay and improve the skin is a dermatologist and your GP should be able to give you a referral.

Dr. C. :

Meanwhile staying hydrated with lots of water, avoiding sun exposure and limiting alcohol intake will all tend to slow the changes.

Dr. C. :

It's possible that the dermatologist may think that a prescription for Retin-A would be helpful. You can write that down and ask specifically if that would be helpful for your situation.

Dr. C. :

That is the most reliable treatment for age related skin changes even if there is a genetic component.

Dr. C. :

It may slow down the process for you.

Customer:

Thanks a million Dr. I'll still start with the beeswax cream and glove proposal. Cheers.

Dr. C. :

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this on such a visible part of the body. It can be frustrating that nothing has helped so far.

Dr. C. :

Glad to help. Please leave a feedback rating. I aim for excellent. Good luck and I hope you're able to get some good treatment that works.

Customer:

Thanks Dr. Its part of life, isn't it?

Dr. C. :

Yes it is. I removed the mirror in my hallway for that reason!:)

Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience: Physician with 30 years experience