Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My nephew has suddenly turned a recluse!-his only contact with

My nephew has suddenly turned a recluse!-his only contact with the outside world is when he goes to church on Sunday's; otherwise he locks himself up in his flat!! All attempts to get in touch (physical or otherwise) by family members, friends, the local police force, church members, etc have proven futile. Possible cause?!-recently, ie 2 years or thereabouts, he gave up a gainful employment to set his own business which has since gone under alongside with his marriage and he's owing a lot of money, to boot! Who do I contact for help? Parents at home are equally worried and are looking up to me to assist! Meantime, the "wife" who has left the house, doesn't want to know!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Does he communicate at all with anyone? What's his source of income at this point--in other words, how does he buy food, pay rent, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The subject in question is an adult I'm his own right and THINKS he's ok whilst loved ones around him KNOW he isn't! What I require is advice on where/how to get assistance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Patrick. I was just trying to get more information before I gave you an answer. It sounds as though he may be suffering from a fairly severe clinical depression. If he is self-sufficient right now--can manage on his own in his flat with no other interactions with family or friends--then the problem becomes a little difficult. To force him to see a psychiatrist against his will would require evidence that he's a danger either to himself or to others. What I suggest you do for now is to see a psychiatrist on your own--or one of his other family members could to this--and explain all that's going on here. Then hopefully the psychiatrist can order the commitment--at least for a few days for evaluation and treatment, perhaps with antidepressant medications. But short of that, no one can force him to realize he has a problem and to ask for help on his own. If you'd like, we can continue beyond what I've just said if you have other questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I bypass the subject's GP and go straight to a psychiatrist since I cannot go to the GP on my own without the company of the subject's wife for reasons of confidentiality? T

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes Patrick--you can go directly to a psychiatrist yourself. You can also at least talk to his GP--it isn't breaking doctor/patient confidentiality for you to express your concerns to his doctor, it's just that the doctor can't tell you anything about his medical conditions or current treatment