Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552
Medical

Good Morning...I am a 51 year old female...I am taking hrt...amitriptyline

and antibiotics for a rash... Show More
and antibiotics for a rash that I have - my problem today and yesterday is that I seem to have a full bladder all the time and when i pass water it is only a few drops and I cant do anymore but the feeling of needing to pee doesnt go away...it is of course uncomfortable and I cannot go out for fear of wanting to go all the time...I dont think its cystitis or thrush as i have had both previously...can you advise.....and thanks
Show Less
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What kind of antibiotic was prescribed to you and at what dose?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Welcome. Please answer the question that I have posted above.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Customer:

clarithromycin 250mg...twice a day for one month

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you on amitriptyline?

Customer:

over 20 years..

Dr. Shahzad MD :

And when did you start the antibiotic?

Customer:

last week it is for a rash i have ..

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Actually the thing is that clarithromycin increases the levels of amitriptyline.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This happens because clarithromycin inhibits the metabolism of amitriptyline.

Customer:

okay...but what do I need to do please?t

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Urinary retention that you are experiencing is a side effect of amitriptyline which is because of increased levels of amitriptyline in the blood due to the fact that this particular antibiotic was started in your case.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You need to contact your doctor right away and let him/her know that you are experiencing this side effect and you need to have your antibiotic changed.

Customer:

thank you but I have ibs....I have had this problem of wanting to pee but cant for a while now prior to the antibiotics...???

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If this particular problem has worsened after you started the antibiotic, I would consider changing the antibiotic because there definitely is an interaction between the antibiotic and amitriptyline.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would have given something like doxycycline which does not interact with amitriptyline.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

yes im here.....how can I pass water? i will not take the antibiotic any more until I see my gp - what can I do to pass water?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that as soon as you stop taking the antibiotic and its out of your system in the next 12 hours or so you will start to pass water.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If nothing helps then you may need to contact the A&E for examination to check distention of your urinary bladder and they may have to help you pass water by temporarily passing a urine catheter for a few minutes and then removing it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

Should i wait before i go to a and e to see what happens not taking the antinbiotics?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can go now as far as I am concerned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just go to the A&E and mention that you are taking this antibiotic and also mention what I told you about the interaction.

Customer:

okay...thank you doctor.....

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards