Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I am continually going to the toilet to pass water!

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 1 year ago.
Dr.Customer:

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr.Customer:

How long has this been going on?

Dr.Customer:

How old are you?

Dr.Customer:

Are you a man or a woman?

Dr.Customer:

Do you take any medication? If yes then what medications do you take?

Dr.Customer:

Do you have any medical problems?

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : About 3 weeks I am 75 years I am female
Dr.Customer:

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : Do take aspirin and simvastatin no other medical problems.
Dr.Customer:

Is there anything that makes it better or worse?

Dr.Customer:

Are you having trouble getting to the bathroom on time? or are you having leakage when you cough, sneeze, laugh etc? Or is the only symptom that you are going a lot?

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : Do have to get to the bathroom quickly
Dr.Customer:

The fact that this started suddenly three weeks ago (it seems from what you wrote that this is sudden) would make me want to rule out a urinary tract infection using a simple test in the doctor's office. Because you don't have any other symptoms of infection this might not be the case.

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : When I am laying down seems to be ok but when I do get up I have to run to toilet even when I am out shopping.
Dr.Customer:

Overactive bladder is another condition that is common as we age

Dr.Customer:

What is your weight and height?

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : 11stone 6ozs approx...5'7"
Dr.Customer:

Does your urine have a foul smell to it?

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : No
Dr.Customer:

What you are describing does sound like overactive bladder (though typically that would include night awakenings to urinate too -- you mentioned earlier that the problem is when you stand up more than when you lay down).

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : I do awake in night to go to the toilet.
Dr.Customer:

It seems to me that your best course of action is to go to your doctor and see if he can prescribe some medication that would decrease this problem.

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : I am going tomorrow to a neurologist.
Dr.Customer:

There are a number of tests the doctor can do to determine if it is overactive bladder that is troubling you

Dr.Customer:

A neurologist? (for your brain/spine or nerves)?

Dr.Customer:

or a Urologist (for your urine)?

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : turplogist sorry !
Dr.Customer:

No problem :)

Dr.Customer:

The urologist might want to do some testing -- but he might be able to give you some recommendations and/or medication without doing further testing.

Dr.Customer:

S/he might suggest you monitor your drinking in general, and your drinking of caffeine in particular

JACUSTOMER-yax95lou- : Thank you.
Dr.Customer:

No problem.

Dr.Customer:

My goal is to give you excellent service. Have I done that?

Dr.Customer:

Do you have any further questions?