Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I FEEL THE NEED TO PASS A STOOL BUT EXPERIENCE A SENSE OF CONSTIPATION.

I FEEL THE NEED TO PASS A STOOL BUT EXPERIENCE A SENSE OF CONSTIPATION. I HAVE PASSED 3 NORMAL STOOL TODAY . i AM OVER 60 AND HAVE A YEARLY FAECAL CHECK WHICH COMES BACK AS NORMAL.ANY ADVICE RE MEDICATION?
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question?

Dr. Charogat :

Can you tell me when your last full physical exam was?

Dr. Charogat :

When was the last time you had your prostate checked?

Dr. Charogat :

Have you ever had a colonoscopy?

Customer:

never had a colonoscopy,no bleeding, normal urine flow and see gp regularly .

Dr. Charogat :

When was the last time you passed stool? I'm not sure I completely understand your question -- even though you've passed stool today you feel like there is more in there that has to be passed?
You mentioned that it was normal otherwise?

Customer:

Passed a small stool 10 minutes ago.Feel temporary relief but a sense of needing to go still remains. It was normal/no blood .

Dr. Charogat :

I am concerned that you might possibly have a growth in your rectum that is causing this sensation. Another possibility is if you have a redundant rectum (meaning that there is more rectal tissue that your body really needs - giving it a chance to fold over onto itself).

Dr. Charogat :

My first thought would be that you should have a colonoscopy as soon as possible to make sure that there is no abnormal tissue in the rectal area.

Customer:

I have no stomach distension and i had 6 oyster a week ago so my sense is i have a slight stomach infection.

Dr. Charogat :

A stomach infection would not present like this. More likely it would present as diarrhea, fever etc.

Dr. Charogat :

This does not sound like something that would be from oysters a week ago.

Dr. Charogat :

You can have a growth in/near your rectum or redundant colon without being distended.

Dr. Charogat :

The only time it would cause distention is if there was a complete blockage - which obviously is not the case in your situation.

Customer:

As i stated earlier I have yearly NHS stool examinations the last being 4 months ago

Dr. Charogat :

Another option - if you don't want to do an entire colonoscopy - is you can ask your doctor about doing a proctoscopy.

Dr. Charogat :

That only goes on the lowermost portion of your colon.

Dr. Charogat :

Yes, I understand. But something that blocks intermittently would not necessarily cause any abnormalities in your stool

Dr. Charogat :

For example -- imagine if you were to gently push your finger into the front of the neck while you were trying to swallow -- it would make swallowing more difficult but would not show up as anything problematic if someone was looking down your throat at the same time.

Dr. Charogat :

A growth can be pushing in intermittently in a way that would not cause anything to be seen in your stool, and intermittently would mean that you would not be distended from it. But it could be seen on a visual examination using a colonoscope or a proctoscope.

Customer:

i THINK i WILL WAIT A WEEK TO SEE IF SYMPTOMS SUBSIDE IF NOT I WILL MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.

Dr. Charogat :

That sounds like something you could do.

Dr. Charogat :

But if you were my relative I'd encourage you to go sooner.

Dr. Charogat :

As I understand, in the UK it can sometimes take a long time to get to the medical specialist you might need.

Customer:

VERY MUCH BASED ON AREA-BUT THANK YOU

Dr. Charogat :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Charogat :

My aim is to give you excellent service.

Customer:

NONE

Dr. Charogat :

One last thought.

Dr. Charogat :

Have you engaged in any rectal sex?

Customer:

NO!

Dr. Charogat :

Okay... just had to ask to make sure I'm not missing something.

Customer:

THANK YOU

Dr. Charogat :

Sometimes people don't think to tell you obvious things.

Customer:

OF COURSE

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless