Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

hello I have had some problems with stomach, I have pain

hello
I have had some problems with stomach, I have pain when I eat food and I avoid food when I can, but avoiding food isn't doing any good. sometimes the pain is sore all the time and I would like to know what could be causing it and is their any treatment for it.
kerry
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

Can you please tell me if there are certain kinds of food that makes it worse than others?

Dr. Charogat :

Do you have any other medical problems?

Dr. Charogat :

Do you take any medication or over-the-counter remedies?

Dr. Charogat :

How long has this been going on?

Customer:

I have notice it has been cheese egg and most foods I eat I get pain. I oNLT have epilepsy. I take senakot as since I don't eat much I find going to the loo hard. It has been going on for a few months. I went to my doctor and I have had to have a full blood count again and throid function bloods but I don't know why.

Dr. Charogat :

It sounds like at this point you might need to have a colonoscopy / endoscopy with biopsy.

Dr. Charogat :

Many things can be found with blood tests - but for problems of malabsorption often a biopsy is needed.

Dr. Charogat :

What you are describing sounds like you might be suffering from malabsorption.

Dr. Charogat :

This does not only mean that you are not getting the nutrients you need, but also that you are experiencing distress while eating (as you have explained).

Dr. Charogat :

Another thing to do is to try and cut certain foods out of your diet and see if that makes a difference.

Dr. Charogat :

For example, you can try to cut out all milk products and see how you feel after a week or two of that.

Dr. Charogat :

If that doesn't help then you can try to cut out all gluten from your diet etc.

Customer:

Oh I see what is malabsorption ? I have cut out cheese and gluten but still get pain it's really awkward to explain

Customer:

oh I see. what is malabsorption ? is that bad ? I have treid to cut cheese and gluten but pain still acures

Dr. Charogat :

Malabsorption is when your intestines have trouble absorbing different foods.

Customer:

if I did have that what treatment would it be

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Charogat :

If they do find you have malabsorption then they can possibly narrow it down to figuring out exactly what you are having trouble absorbing.

Customer:

oh I see thank you for that.

Customer:

my doctor did say I might need an endoscopy so I will see what happens

Dr. Charogat :

Once that is figured out the most likely thing is that you will be told what things to avoid. There are some things that can be supplemented. For example, people with lactose intolerance can't absorb it properly, but there is medication they can take at the same time which prevents the symptoms of lactose intolerance.

Dr. Charogat :

It does definitely sound like you will need that (I think I mentioned that in the beginning of this conversation). Hopefully that can give you many more answers than you have right now, so that you can get back to having a normal life, free of constant abdominal issues.

Customer:

will my doctor be concerned if im not eating a lot or is it normal

Dr. Charogat :

It is not "normal". By that I mean that you need to be eating. Doctors often see people who are not eating a lot because they are having abdominal pain -- and that is not a healthy thing to do. The bot***** *****ne is to figure out what is going on so that you can have a healthy diet.

Customer:

ok thank you for that. is there anything I can do to stop the pain till I see my doctor again.

Dr. Charogat :

There really isn't one specific thing that will help in all situations.

Dr. Charogat :

Sometimes walking around can help for some things, but not for all.

Dr. Charogat :

I wish I could give you a better answer - ie an idea with something to do.

Dr. Charogat :

You can try heating pads - that sometimes helps -- but really there is no one thing that will help with everything.

Customer:

I will do thanks I just don't feel healthy as everyone is eating and im not. then feel I am dyhrated and dizzy

Customer:

is it normal with adomal pain

Dr. Charogat :

It is normal to feel dehydrated and dizzy when you are not eating.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Charogat :

As far as foods go you can try to eat very bland foods.... drink water or electrolyte drinks, try eating boiled chicken, rice etc. But don't eat a lot at a time - better more meals that are smaller.

Customer:

arghh I see. ok I will do.

Dr. Charogat :

Okay... I hope to hear good news from you soon -- hopefully an endoscopy with the answers you need, and a return to normal eating and normal life.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Customer:

thank you for everything

Customer:

night

Dr. Charogat :

G'nite. G-d Bless

Dr. Charogat :

I hope I have given you excellent service

Customer:

you certainly have :)

Dr. Charogat :

Great! :)

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.