Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi, for the last week I've been suffering from blocked and

Hi, for the last week I've been suffering from blocked and runny nose (sneezing at the start), an incredibly sore throat - worst I've ever had, particularly when swallowing and more painful on one side, feeling as if my legs are very heavy and stiff, mild headache. I had a fever of 39.2c which came on very suddenly but I was able to get it back down with medication.
I saw the doctor at my local after hours place three days ago, she told me I likely had acute pharyngitis and gave me two boxes of penicillin. In the last 24 hrs I've been feeling slightly better but still rather unwell. I'm very blocked up with thick green mucus and also can't hear at all out of my right ear. I've also started coughing up phlegm. I've been taking paracetamol, ibuprofen and penicillin.
I don't feel the doctor I saw gave me the opportunity to explain my symptoms beyond sore throat and would like a second opinion and perhaps some advice on what I can do, if anything, to help the pain.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due t sore throat & other symptoms.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections.But this can also be bacterial like strep throat.It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat.It is caused group A Streptococcus bacteria.
Strep can not be accurately diagnosed by looking at the throat alone.It requires a laboratory test.A throat swab or a rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection.
Streptococcus is highly responsive to penicillin and the cephalosporin antibiotics.Penicillin has shown good effectiveness is reliable and cheap.It is one of the best antibiotic to cure strep infection.
As your symptoms has improved in the last 24 hours,I advise you to continue with penicillin as prescribed.It usually takes 48-72 hours to get the effects.
Use Afrin nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion.It is available over-the-counter.The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride.
Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.
All this will help you greatly yo treat the symptoms.
Continue with paracetamol & ibuprofen to get relief from pain.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert