Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

i have a problem with my right knee it sometimes swells up

i have a problem with my right knee it sometimes swells up and goes very warm and i can't put any weight on it,it hurts so much then when i try to stand on it,but the only way it gets right again is when i try to keep upright,so i stand up with not putting my weight on it then it feels right away that there is blood or some sort of liquid moving and it feels though the swelling is going down then and it just takes some time to be able to stand on it, soon i can stand on it but can't walk anywhere cos of it hurting,then eventually it gets right and i can walk about and get about then, walking and keeping stood up seems to help it and think cold weather brings it on too, but my doctor doesn't know what it is and has only prescribed me pain killers which don't help or solve the problem, do u know what it could be and how i could get help for it? please
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
Were any investigations done to see for the cause? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No medical diagnoses and 2 doctors have checked me knee n found nothing even had x Ray n nothing but it feels more sore at the left side of my knee n as long as I keep it warm n knee support on it it helps,could my knee be suffering from some kind of arthritus as sometimes it feels ok and fine

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Tony,
I am sorry for the delay, I was in an emergency.
I am happy that the xray knee came negative. It rules out any severe abnormality at the bone or the joint. However mild changes may not be picked up on xray and need MRI for complete and detailed evaluation.
Having said this - In your case I would consider pinching of the nerve at the spine level as my first thought.
The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertebral discs {soft tissue cushion if I may say}. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal {formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around}. Any bone spur of displacement or bulge of the disc cause pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like pain / numbness / tingling due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too.
Next step - Few investigations like MRI Lumbar spine/ blood tests {to look for diabetes, anemia or vitamin deficiency} would give us more answers.
As of now - Warm compress/ Motrin should give relief. Have balanced diet adequate fluid, avoid alcohol, smoking. Raise the leg part of your bed, keep your leg raised whenever possible. Avoid activities which increases the pain/ Rest intermittently/ Avoid bending at 90 degrees/ Pushing and pulling should be avoided / Avoid prolonged sitting and standing/ Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor.
Wish you well.
Best
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more detail.
Do consider to rate my answer.
Best