Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

A week ago during a conference in Abu Dhabi, I found an engorged

A week ago during a conference in Abu Dhabi, I found an engorged insect size of a small ladybird on my breast, which I pulled off. I think it was a tick. A week later and the area is now getting very tender and sore, but no swelling that I can see. Is it worth bothering the doctor or ok to treat with anti-histamine cream?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If the only symptoms are soreness and tenderness, it is OK to treat it with an antihistamine, either by cream or pill to cover a local reaction to the bite. It also would be OK to use paracetamol or the local application of moist heat to ease the soreness and tenderness. If additional symptoms develop, either a local lesion around the bite or systemic symptoms, such as fever or headaches, then it would be appropriate to contact your physician. But if the above treatment results in resolution in symptoms, then no further evaluation or care is necessary.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.