Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi I have been getting headaches almost everyday for the

Customer Question

I have been getting headaches almost everyday for the past four/ five weeks and most days they last all day. My doctor has advised by telephone I should take ibuprofen and paracetamol for a couple of weeks and see how I get on as the doctors surgery is too busy with existing appointments to see me. I rarely go to the doctors but family and friends feel I need to be checked out.
My headache pain is the front, back and right had side as well as pain which feels like it's coming from behind my eyes. Last week at the gym I was talking to an instructor when he said I zoned and he was ready to call a first aider but I don't remember zoning out and told them I was fine. I have noticed that I struggle to concentrate when I'm being talked to and drift in and out of conversation. I don't really suffer with headaches but never had ones like these before.
I don't know if it's connected but the last couple of days my ears have felt pressured like they need popping. My neck and shoulders have started to hurt and on Sunday I noticed small symmetrical bruising on top on my shoulders either side of my neck. I only do cardio in the gym so I know this isn't from weight lifting.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like but first off, any headache problem lasting this long needs to be evaluated by your doctor. There are several possibilities here. My first thought is a chronic sinusitis--infection. Then these could be tension headaches from muscle spasms in your neck and possibly from a disk problem in your cervical spine. As far as the zoning out episode, I can't quite link that to your headaches but sometimes migraine auras can cause something like that. If I were your doctor I would get a ct scan of your sinuses and an MRI of your cervical spine