Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I came back from the USA in June and noticed a dry stop of

Customer Question

I came back from the USA in June and noticed a dry stop of blood on my toe which I brushed off thinking nothing about it. Then I noticed a problem arise over the upper part of the entire foot (toes and the top part of the foot) and this turned out to be cellulitis. I was given Antibiotics for over two months to clear this but now I seem to have on the end of the 4th toe Osteomyelitis. I have been told that I will have to loose this toe if it does not clear up and I would rather not. Do I have any alternatives???
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Are you by chance diabetic? Were you given intravenous antibiotics in addition to oral ones?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not Diabetic or have any other medical problems.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Christine but what kind of antibiotic therapy did you have? And how was the osteomyelitis diagnosed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oral antibiotics for 2 months, X-rays and Scan.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Christine an we can continue after this if you'd like. I would put you on a six week regimen of intravenous antibiotics like piperacillin or vancomycin, but first you'd need a biopsy to determine the type of bacteria involved in the infection. Hyperbaric oxygen is also needed and you might need surgical debridement of the infected bone. With all that, there's a reasonable chance of saving the toe. You need to talk to your doctors about this