Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

My menstrual period was due at 28 days (Last saturday), my

My menstrual period was due at 28 days (Last saturday), my period still hasn't started and i'm suspicious i may be pregnant. When should i contact the doctor to get a test? I have an average cycle of 28 days so, this is very uncommon. I have been feeling pains as though my menstrual period is due to start for the past 4 days.
I look forward to hearing your comments.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
The pregnancy test is most sensitive when done a week after you miss your period.
Having said this I would also state - Missing a period does not always mean that you are pregnant. We need to consider other causes like - hormonal abnormality/ abnormality at the ovaries/ systemic causes like anemia, vitamin deficiency or stress.
I would get myself evaluated now {as it is already over a month} to get more answers. Few blood tests and ultrasound of abdomen would give us more answers.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would you recommend, that if the menstrual has still not occurred after 1 week of it being missed then to try another pregnancy test. if still 'not pregnant' then contact my doctor for further advice. What would your meaning of hormonal abnormality etc. mean?? You've also, gone onto say 'i would get myself evaluated now (as it is already over a month) to get more answers. what are you meaning on this too? Please explain in a bit for detail. Many Thanks.

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Alexis,
Yes you are right, I would get a repeat test done if it was done few days back.
Hormonal abnormalities like - thyroid hormonal abnormality/ abnormal levels of estrogen or others can cause delayed menses.
Next step - Repeat pregnancy test. If it is still negative than - evaluation by the doctor along with few other tests as mentioned in my prior statement.
Best