Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hello Doctor, My question is rather long and somehow embarrassing,

Customer Question

Hello Doctor,
My question is rather long and somehow embarrassing, however, I feel
that it is absolutely necessary to tell you everything to be able to diagnose what might be wrong with me.
I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease since August 2007. Part and parcel of the problem is of course constipation. In the past, due to agonizing opening of my bowels, I had to do it manually on few occasions. I do take some lactulose and senokot.
My problem now is that, I experience backache severely 2-3 times a day and I feel that
there is always a foecal matter that wants to come out. I do rush to the toilet but nothing comes out. After trying my back hurts badly to the point that it disables me, in that I could not walk- lasting for 1-2 hours. Sometimes more than. What could be wrong with me. I am worried.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I'm very sorry about this
Most likely you have a chronic fecal impaction
You need to do a few things
1)if you haven't had a colonoscopy yet you need one. Starting at age 50 one is recommended for screening purposes anyways
2)you need to get on a better drug for constipation.
I would be on miralax daily
If this doesn't work, then you need a new drug called linaclotide. It works amazingly well
A simple xray of the belly right now will show if you have an obstruction now which I bet you do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If indeed there is obstruction, is this easy enough to correct and if so what will be the procedure to undergo?

Hopefully it is easy to fix
You might need an enema.
However if there is something bad causing this like scar tissue or cancer that will be a whole separate issue