Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I wonder if i can possibly ask a health question? 6

I wonder if i can possibly ask a sexual health question? 6 months ago I had vaginal intercourse. A condom was used. Myself and my previous partner also had anal sex the same evening and the condom came off. Because it was on my mind I waited 2 weeks and send off for a vaginal chlamydia testing kit (through superdrug online). The test came back negative. This has been on my mind on and off over the last 6 months so I did another vaginal chlamydia test 3 weeks ago and again the result came back negative. I think I am worrying about nothing but my question is, if there was anything in the anus ( I haven't had anal sex since but have had vaginal intercourse) could it pass to the vagina? I don't think superdrug do anal testing kits for women).
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

I am Dr.Amita and I would be glad to assist you today.

Dr.Amita :

Chlamydia is a STD of genital tract and if tests have been negative you should not worry about getting chlamydial infection

Dr.Amita :

Chlamydia are transmitted from the penis to vagina and vice versa and having anal intercourse does not cause transmission of chlamydia to vagina

Dr.Amita :

Nor would having unprotected anal intercourse cause such transmission

Customer:

As I said I am probably overthinking all of this but my main concern was, if there was anything untoward in the anus can it spread to the vagina (as I said I have not had anal sex since that evening)

Customer:

As I said I am probably overthinking all of this but my main concern was, if there was anything untoward in the anus can it spread to the vagina (without having anal sex and I have not had anal sex since that evening)

Customer:

I haven't chatted on line like this before, do I now finish and rate the service

Dr.Amita :

Chlamydia is not known to be found in anal area.Several other types of bacteria reside in the anal area but similarly many other types of bacteria also found in vagina as well but these are residents of the area and are known as commensals.These are not harmful.

Dr.Amita :

You may rate if you are finished asking.If you want to clarify anything relaated you may continue chatting

Customer:

I think after taking 2 tests 6 months apart and both to have come back negative I need to stop thinking about this. I just needed to know if it could be transmitted from anus to vagina without having anal sex.

Dr.Amita :

No it does not get transmitted that way.You can lay the matter to rest.

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Amita you have been fantastic.

Dr.Amita :

Thanks and best wishes from my side