Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello. My GP visited yesterday - I have 3 ruptured discs in

Hello.
My GP visited yesterday - I have 3 ruptured discs in the lumbar region of my spine. I am taking oxycodone, slow release but it does not relieve the pain for long. The reflexes in my left knee and foot were not responsive. She informed me that unless I stuck to 'pottering' around, she would admit me to hospital. why would she do this, as I know from pervious experience whe my daughter broke her back, they do not admit for back pain ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Pain alone, unless it is just so severe that oral medication doesn't take the edge off and intravenous pain medication as in a morphine pump is needed, is not a reason for admission to hospital. It sounds as though she wants you at nearly complete bed rest for now and that would be more easily accomplished in hospital. At this point, however, it sounds as though you may finally need surgery to get the disk pressure off your nerve roots or spinal cord