DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Severe back pain, chills, fatigue and general flu feeling at

Severe back pain, chills, fatigue and general flu feeling at 7 weeks pregnant, alt 62, for a few weeks after my temperature went up and down to 38 and I was also diagnosed with ecoli uti. I am now 15 weeks pregnant everything ok at scans however worried about CMV? What else could cause those symptoms and alt levels to
increase? What are the chances of catching CMV, I have a 10 year old son and am 29
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There is no reason to suspect CMV
Anything at all, almost, could cause a slight temporary elevation in alt.
It is really not specific to anything.
Even a medication, alcohol or lab error could do it.
Your doctor can test for CMV when appropriate.
I would first repeat the liver enzymes.
If they are normal, I would not go further.
If not, I would look at hepatitis screens, ANA, and iron/ferritin.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doctor would not test for CMV, but alt will be repeated, I was worried about the symptoms and whether they were suggestive of CMV especially as I work with children.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No.
They are suggested of a flu like viral illness.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it usual for a temperature to stay high for several weeks? And could flu virus cause the alt rise?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by "high"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went back to gp evey week for about 3 weeks after initial virus to have flu injection but it was always 38 or just over - not very high and I don't know if it was consistently high for 3 weeks but they refused to give me injection until temp returned to normal which it did on my last appt
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
That is not a fever; not high enough.
I don't think this was necessarily any infection at all.
It is quite simple for your doctor to run a CMV antibody to see if you have even ever been exposed.
I would be more worried about checking your thyroid function. That is a much more common problem, and can cause temperature fluctuations.
ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They won't do CMV, I was more concerned that it took a while to get over the virus and my alt levels were raised which my gp could not explain and the only information I could find relating to alt and virus was mono and CMV. No
One has been able to explain why my alt would rise and I'm more worried about the impact of the virus on baby although there is no indication to date anything is wrong. All my other bloods were normal
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Mono is a much more likely virus to raise liver enzymes.
I see no concern here, however, as long as the alt is not continuing to rise.
Since there were no other abnormalities, I think it was within lab error variability, in fact.
Please click a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can a uti or any viral cold/flu cause alt to rise?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Any stress on the liver could cause this much elevation transiently, even a tylenol.
I don't think you are really hearing me however. An isolated rise in ALT to this number is ***** on its own, meaningless.
I suspect your repeat labs will be normal, as does your doctor.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Infact, pregnancy itself has caused it in some studies!!
Please click a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am
now understanding it can be caused by many things, I was more worried as I'm normally quite healthy and to be feel quite unwell for many weeks with increased alt was unusual and CMV was raised to me which worried me further especially as gp won't test to rule it out as he says the chances are I already have it from childhood and/or having a child of my own
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Your doctor is competent.
You apparently have a great deal of anxiety.
Other than that, I don't think you have a problem.
Good luck.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.