Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Both my wife and I are suffering from fuzzy heads, nausea (but

Both my wife and I are suffering from fuzzy heads, nausea (but not being sick), tiredness during the day but unable to sleep at night. This has lasted for about six weeks and about a week ago our doctor has prescribed sleeping pills, which seem to work at night but make the nausea feeling worse
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Ken :

Ken :

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Ken :

Were any investigations obtained to see for the cause?

Customer:

no answer received

Ken :

Hello, Can you answer this - were any investigations obtained to see for the cause? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?

Ken :

This will help me to answer you better.

Customer:

Diabetes 2 and high cholesterol, both managed at safe levels using symvastatin and metformin

Ken :

Thank you for additional information.

Ken :

We need to consider few causes for the symptoms...

Ken :

As the symptoms are seen with both of you I would think of abnormality at the stomach or esophagus as the likely cause.

Ken :

It can be likely due to increased acid secretion in stomach - secondary to spicy food intake/ infection {H.pylorie}/allergy.

Ken :

Other causes like - thyroid imbalance/ less quality sleep {secondary to stress or anxiety}/ raised blood pressure or low blood sugar/ anemia, vitamin deficiency also need to be looked for.

Ken :

Next step -

Ken :

Few investigations like blood tests/ upper GI scopy/ ultrasound of abdomen should give us more answers.

Ken :

Sleep pills would only act on symptoms. We need to find out the cause and treat it.

Ken :

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ stay away from stress or anxiety {Yoga, meditation help}. TUMS or Gas-X should help too.

Ken :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

not really as my wife and I have exactly the same symptons and do not eat spicy food

Ken :

That is what puzzles me. hence I would think of some cause which is affecting you both - Allergy to a certain specific food/ H.pylorie infection at stomach/ or some other cause which is causing increased acid secretion in stomach - leading to nausea and less quality sleep - feel sleepy throughout the day.

Ken :

Thyroid imbalance {one of the common cause} is my second thought.

Ken :

This needs to be evaluated for sure.

Customer:

my wifehad a thyroid operation many years ago

Ken :

Hypothyroidism does cause tiredness whole day.

Ken :

Her thyroid levels need to be checked.

Customer:

but I have never had any problems with thyroid

Ken :

The symptoms may indicate thyroid issue. It can only be diagnosed by blood tests.

Ken :

Having sleeping pills will give temporary relief. We need to find the cause. I am sorry to be repetitive

Customer:

we will go to see our GP again next week. thank you

Ken :

Please do not worry.

Ken :

You will be fine.

Ken :

Good Luck