Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

One side of my groin double hernia mesh repair has been diagnosed

One side of my groin double hernia mesh repair has been diagnosed as failed with slight bulge. I hope to nurse it through for an operation in the spring when less coal carrying to my fire is required so am trying to prevent further damage. I know that building pressure inside the abdomen is bad but should tension on the front wall be strictly avoided? Example, I try to do 10 press-ups each day and this puts tension on the front wall. Is this to be reduced and possibly strictly avoided? I am 71, about 5' - 11" and 10.5 stone.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

When was the last operation done and when did you first notice the recurrence?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

Done about ten years ago. Recurrence first noticed after losing weight on the 5&2 diet perhaps just over two years ago, eventually had it examined this autumn, had done some heavy garden maintenence in two years prior to losing weight.

Dr Uzair :

With groin hernias, it is usually best to be careful.

Dr Uzair :

Recurrent hernias have a tendency to get obstructed.

Dr Uzair :

It is best not to do press ups with a hernia.

Dr Uzair :

But I would also like you get this checked with an ultrasound, if the hernial defect is a wide one then the chance of obstruction is less.

Dr Uzair :

An ultrasound can be used to evaluate the hernia defect accurately.

Customer:

Ultra sound was used in diagnosis, details not explained to me other than confirmed hernia.

Dr Uzair :

Alright, usually the sonologists write the defect size in their comments, so you can check your report for that.

Customer:

Guess this chat is over now thank you