DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi. Please could you try and help me. I have had severe pain

Hi. Please could you try and help me. I have had severe pain down my right leg for a few months now. The pain goes into my foot and I also get pain under the foot as well. The pain starts from my right buttock which is extremely painful if you put any pressure on it. I am now having disturbed sleep every night as the pain in my leg is so severe it is waking me up. I have been to my GP about this on a few occasions. They have referred me to a foot specialist to see if I am out of alignment at all and I am awaiting an appointment but I am not convinced this is the problem. When I walk up stairs and I put my right foot down to walk up the next stair the pain feels like muscular all down my leg almost like I may have a trapped nerve. I am now in pain every minute of the day down my leg and its so severe I could cry at times. Does it sound like a trapped nerve. I am a 51 year old lady and I do have severe arthritis in my middle finger joints. Not sure if this may be a connection.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This is not likely the foot.
This is likely from arthritis in the lower spine with degenerative discs.
This puts pressure on the nerves, and radiates pain down to the foot.
A physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor would diagnose this quickly. You probably need an MRI of the lower spine, and the correct physical therapy program to avoid surgery.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.