Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have radiation proctitis and take loperamide x 8 day. Until

I have radiation proctitis and take loperamide x 8 day. Until recently I also took codeine to reduce bowel motility with good effect. Since having a cholecystectomy I can no longer take codeine as it causes spasm of the bile duct and results in severe biliary colic. My GP prescribed co- phenotrope but I can't get hold of it. Can you help?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

with radiation proctitis, you can try prescription Lomotil to slow down your bowels

Dr. David :

also prescription cholestyramine can help slow down your bowels as well.

Dr. David :

are you having bleeding from your radiation proctitis?

Dr. David :

if you are having bleeding, you might need a steroid suppository to help decrease bleeding.

Dr. David :

or a colonoscopy to go up to cauterize areas of radiation damage to your rectum to decrease bleeding.

Dr. David :

if codeine doesn't work, you can always ask your doctors to try morphine or tincture of morphine to help slow down your bowels as well and see if those cause bile duct spasms. perhaps morphine will not cause that problem.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions