Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have metastatic breast cancer in bones and lymph nodes. I

Customer Question

I have metastatic breast cancer in bones and lymph nodes. I have had headaches every day for weeks. I also have a hard lump above my temple and swelling of the eye area on the same side. Head CT was said to be clear and eye examine said back of eye was fine. My scalp and area of lump are tender to the touch. Onc has said nothing to worry about - but I do. Is there an explanation? My lump on the temple area is about 3 cm in diameter and eye is still swollen after a month.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

i would get a copy of the head CT scan report.

Dr. David :

it sounds like you have metastatic breast cancer to the calvarium or bone of your skull causing the large lump and pain.

Dr. David :

you need to see a radiation oncology doctor to get palliative radiation to that site to help shrink down the bone met and decrease pain.

Dr. David :

that is what radiation can do for you

Dr. David :

it sounds like the head CT scan didn't show cancer spread to your brain tissue inside of the bone which is good.

Dr. David :

but I bet there is cancer spread to the bone in the temple area.

JACUSTOMER-01havcmc- :

Thank you - but wouldn't the ct have shown the bone met? It was done about a month ago. Orbits were clear and they didn't mention any new bone met 'no space occupying lesions, intercranial metastases. The bony calvarium appears normal and no bony metastases are seen. No other intercranial pathology was identified'. (Quoted from CT report ). I wondered if it could be temporal arteritis?

Dr. David :

temporal arteritis usually doesn't cuase a lump which is 3cm in size.

Dr. David :

the radiologist might have missed this large bone calvarial met.

Dr. David :

if this temporal mass has slowly grown up to 3cm in size and you have breast cancer mets to bone, then chances are, this is also a breast cancer bone met as well.

JACUSTOMER-01havcmc- :

Thanks - I will ask to see onc when I go for chemo tomorrow.

Dr. David :

thanks.