Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I've been suffering lower back pain for months now, painful

I've been suffering lower back pain for months now, painful to bend right or left (restricted too feels something is stopping me leaning over by my spine) and backwards, not so much forwards, accompanied by a constant gnawing in my stomach, sometimes a burning feeling in the lungs and stomach area and also on the right of my back, by the shoulder blade right next to the spine. It's got to the point where I can't ignore it, any ideas what it could be and what to do about it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--have you had an MRI of your lower back? Were you given any medications for the possible GERD or the ulcer? Were you screened for H pylori?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No mri, screened for h pylori which came back negative, was on lanzoprazole which didn't seem to do anything
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Matt. Two separate things here. You may well have a disk problem in your lumbar spine so you need the MRI to check for that. Then, it sounds like you don't just have GERD but also it's likely you have a peptic ulcer and you definitely need the upper endoscopy to check for both. You may need a combination of Nexium and sucralfate to treat that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have bupa medical cover, but limited cover, basically I can have one or the other, would you suggest the endoscopy or the mri under bupa, I would then go via the nhs for the other
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I think the GI condition is more urgent Matt since you've had the back pain for some time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last question I feel I've got some good info, would ulcers be made worse with certain foods, alcohol and smoking, sometimes with the three individually at times I get severe sob with what feels like a constricted phlegmy throat wich passes after time, never the less it certainly affects my quality of life
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The phlegm is probably from reflux Matt. All the following can aggravate an ulcer--alcohol, caffeine, smoking, fried or fatty foods, spicy foods, and citric/acidic foods like tomatoes, oranges, grapefruit