Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

Every so often (like now) my throat just sort of randomly constricts

Every so often (like now) my throat just sort of randomly constricts painfully. It doesn't happen according to any pattern re my habits or moods, just out of nowhere. And it hurts SO BAD! There's nothing I know how to do, drinking doesn't help, I just have to wait out the pain. And I have no idea what is causing this! Help please?
For your information if it's relevant; I'm a trans guy, XX with as far as I know no abnormalities that way, haven't yet started any of transition, somewhat overweight, of mixed ancestry (mostly white, African and Asian), no food allergies but I do have a skin allergy to a lot of soaps and perfumes, and resident in Bow in East London.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

I hope to be able to help you.

Dr. Charogat :

Can you clarify what you mean by "haven't yet started any of transition,"? Does this mean that you haven't taken any hormones or just that you haven't had any surgery?

Dr. Charogat :

Do you have any history in your family of medical conditions such as diabetes (childhood), thyroid problems, any other autimmune conditions?

Customer:

No hormones or surgery or anything. So physically totally female as far as I know.

Customer:

As for history...I don't think so. Nobody ever mentioned it. Problem is I cannot be sure because my dad's family I know very little about.

Customer:

He ran away from home as a teenager and, well/

Customer:

Had a lot of adventures, met my mum...But I know almost nothing about my paternal grandparents other than that my grandpa owned a fishing fleet and was kind of a jerk.

Customer:

My maternal grandparents I did know and I can safely say that they are pretty sturdy, healthy people.

Customer:

Grandpa died of cancer not long ago but he was an old man, so go figure. Grandma had breast cancer some time afore that but recovered well.

Customer:

Neither of them had any chronic health issues beyond you know, old people stuff.

Customer:

...did it blip ? Are you there?

Dr. Charogat :

Dr. Charogat :

Yes, I am here, reading all your answers.

Customer:

Sudden thought that may be relevant. My brother has very severe allergies to dust, pollen and animal dander. As in 'he just has to walk near a furry thing and he starts wheezing'.

Dr. Charogat :

Thank. you. That was good to add, but I don't think in this particular case it will affect anything.

Dr. Charogat :

I'm thinking that you might be having spasms of your esophagus

Customer:

Also, on a personal level, when my throat goes awful it feels like there's a HUGE big of food or something stuck there only there isn't any food, just air/

Customer:

Spasms of my esophagus?

Dr. Charogat :

Yep

Customer:

I don't get any pain in my chest

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was gonna say, I don't get any pain in my chest, just my throat! And is there anything I can do about this?

I hope you don't mind that I switched this to Q&A - I didn't want you to be charged extra.

Esophageal spasm usually present as pain in the chest - because the esophagus travels pretty low -- but it can occur higher in the esophagus so that you would feel the pain in your throat.

There are tests that can be done (you can see them also in the link I provided) that can check if that is what is going on. One important thing is that you shouldn't start any voluntary medical procedures or medications (ie hormones) until this is straightened out.

Does this help?

Do you have further questions?

I want to make sure you don't go until you are completely satisfied that your questions have been answered.

G-d Bless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The pain always occurs in the same place, pretty much exactly where my adam's apple would be if I had one.

...and thanks for the warning about hormones, but another thing has just occured that I should of said earlier! I didn't think about it because I'm an idiot and it's for a mental thing not physical but I take Prozac and olanzapine every day because I'm obsessive compulsive/schizotypal. And I REALLY can't stop those meds! I get into a right mess when I'm off them.

For how long have you been taking Prozac and the olanzapine? (Incidenteally, the fact that you didn't think of mentioning it earlier does not make you an idiot!)

(Please make sure to never stop taking those medications - as you seem to already know - unless you speak with your doctor who you know and trust! Even if a doctor on the internet tells you to stop them you should not do so until you've spoken with your doctor!)

Altough women don't have an "Adam's apple", they really do - it is just much smaller and that is why it is not noticeable. It is made of the Thyroid cartilage surrounding the larynx.

G-d Bless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've been taking the Prozac and olanzapine for about six years now. A couple times I tried different medications (with my doctor's approval) but none of them worked so well and one had very nasty side effects. So I stick to what I know.

The olanzapine concerns me because it could have side effects that can be similar to what you've been going through -- though not exact. Also, because you've been taking it for a while already with no side effects it is less likely (though not impossible) that the problems are coming from it. You may want to run it by your doctor and see what s/he thinks about that.

My first thought still is esophageal spams though. I'd suggest discussing that with your primary care doctor.

G-d Bless

Does this help?
Do you have more questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

...But this isn't a recent thing. I mean-shit. I've been getting these spasms for years-sorry, another thing I thought I said. Sorry. The timing does make it kind of plausible that the olanzapine is doing this!

I'll do what you said and ask my GP once the holidays are over and everything is a bit less mad. Thanks for the help.

No problem - on the missed details :)
Please know that you can come back and continue this converstation even after you have rated me (hopefully I've given excellent service), and there are no further charges for continuing.

G-d Bless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You've been great and I'm sorry for blathering on at length like this! God go with you too.

Don't worry at all. Feel free to ask away.

I hope you can get in touch with your doctor to see if/what s/he wants to do about possibly testing you for esophageal spasm, and your psychiatrist to try and figure out medications better.

G-d Bless
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.

I was wondering if you were able to talk to your doctor about your medications yet?

G-d Bless