Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My 23yr Son has been sick "ill" for 9/10 days, suffering with

My 23yr Son has been sick "ill" for 9/10 days, suffering with chronic diarrhoea, he has taken the usual medication but the problem still exists, he is suffering with severe headaches too! I guess this to be dehydration but I would have thought he would be back on his feet by now, I`m concerned because he thinks because of his age he just needs to rest/sleep.
Any advice would be appreciated, but he is not one to take advice from me, so please consider this in your reply!
Mr V Fisher
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this but diarrhea that goes beyond about five days has to be considered not viral but a bacterial enteritis as in E coli, salmonella, or C diff. The main thing about diarrhea is the potential dehydration and loss of electrolytes that has to be replenished with lots of juices and things like GatorAde. He needs to see a doctor immediately for an exam, a stool culture, and antibiotics based on the results of that culture