Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My 7 year old son was vomiting and had diarrhoea with a high

My 7 year old son was vomiting and had diarrhoea with a high temperature for around 48 hours last weekend. He is eating again, his temperature is back to normal and the vomiting has stopped but is still doing loose stools and his stomach seems to be cramping and is getting worse. The pain comes and goes and is low down in the centre of his belly. I am giving him Calpol but am wondering what else I should be doing to relieve his symptoms or make him more comfortable? He is in bed and I don't think it warrants a trip to a and e at the moment but I do need some advice on how to proceed with his care. Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your 7 year old son's discomfort due to this diarrhea. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
A common cause of diarrhea is viral gastroenteritis (often called the "stomach flu).Rotavirus infection is a frequent cause of viral gastroenteritis in kids.
You should encourage your child to take plenty of fluids.The aim is to prevent dehydration.If your child is mildly dehydrated, this may be treated by giving them rehydration drinks.
Rehydration solutions include Rehydralyte and the World Health Organization’s oral rehydration solution. Other products, such as Pedialyte and Infalyte, may help keep a child properly hydrated and prevent dehydration.
As his vomiting & fever has subsided,this is a good thing & his infection will soon be cleared.
Medicines are not normally given to stop diarrhoea to children under 12 years old.
Continue to give him calpol as & when required.
So bot***** *****ne is that yes,there is no need to go to Emergency room(ER).just watch his symptoms & take care of dehydration.Within next 24-48 hours his symptoms of loose stools will start improving as the viral infection will subside.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. Is there anything more I can do to relieve his pain? Is there anything I should be feeding him or avoiding?

The pain in his tummy is worse today is this normal?

Dear customer
Thank you for replying back.
I can understand your concern for your son.
There is nothing much you can do for your son to relieve his pain.Tylenol usually provides great relief from cramps.Give it as described.
Offer him some food every now and then. However, if he does not want to eat, that is fine.Small amounts of fluid given frequently are often tolerated even if he has nausea or cramps.
Home-made salt/sugar mixtures can be used if rehydration drinks are not available.
This is all that can be done.
Wait & watch his symptoms to get resolve in next 24-48 hours.
I am happy for your concern towards your son & I salute your motherhood.
Thank you and "Merry Christmas".
Hope this helped.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician