Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Dear Doctor My fiance and I are in Morocco. Before we left

Dear Doctor
My fiance and I are in Morocco. Before we left she was complaining of a fever, shivers, lower back pain. no energy, no appetite and general aches and pains. Flu like symptoms but not flue. She has had these symptoms for 2 weeks now and has been bed ridden for the last 2 days. She has been taking Paracetamol to lower her temperature.
She also takes hydroxicardomide for Essential Thrombocythemia and has recently been given a course of Goserelin acetate injections to reduce the size of fibriods.
Her symptoms are not improving. We await your advise.
Kind Regards
Graham
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Is she still having fever and chills?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you checked the fever?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How high is it?

Customer:

She was checked and had a temperature of 40 degrees but this was last friday we do not know her temperature now but she says it's not as hot

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Has she been seen during these two weeks?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any tests done?

Customer:

no... we are in Morocco so it's a bit difficult

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand

Dr. Shahzad MD :

With the diagnosis that she already has i.e. essential thrombocythemia and with the medications that she is on for it she definitely needs blood tests.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would strongly recommend that you should take her to the nearest hospital emergency.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Particularly because she is bed bound and she may require admission as far as I am concerned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The reason why I say that is because hydroxycarbamide is a medication that can lower a person's immunity and this fever can be due to anything.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

In a person on these kind of medications, she definitely requires further work up to make sure it is nothing serious and if it is any serious infection to treat it urgently.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

So I will take her to a clinic and ask for a blood test. We are back in the UK on 28th could it wait until then?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Considering that she is very ill right now and bed bound I would recommend that you should take her now to the emergency to get her blood tests done at the very least.

Customer:

Okay we will go now

Customer:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards