Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi Dr chip anxiety mark here I have the flu !! Everyone round

Hi Dr chip anxiety mark here I have the flu !! Everyone round here has now I have ! My temp is 37.8 and I feel rough in bed.
You know my panics !
Will my wbc of 3.69 cure me ok ?????
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mark and Merry Christmas. First off that really isn't much of a fever if it is one at all. What symptoms do you have and how long have you had them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yesterday and today. Sore skin and muscles thickly throat and feel lousy !! Lol happy XMAS. You have my blood results from last week
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Couple of questions Mark--have you had this year's flu vaccination and if so, when? And second, any cough?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No cough no I never get vaccinated never get flu. ! 3 years ago was last. My doc says wbc normal will rise if required ? He says it sits at 3.9 all the time then goes up every now and again he says sitting with a high wbc would be more worrisome do you agree
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well basically Mark, just because your white count hovers around the low normal range doesn't mean you can't mount a higher number when that's needed. Of course a persistently abnormally high white count would be worrisome. Being viral the flu doesn't always raise someone's white count all that much anyway. I really don't think you have anything to worry about here but of course the flu can take a week to ten days to run its course. Tamiflu can shorten that time period but it's only effective if started within 48 hours of the beginning of the symptoms. Zinc lozenges, extra vitamin C, plenty of rest and fluids, and Tyenol or ibuprofen as needed for the pains and fever are about all one can do to manage through.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that. I really need to let this wbc thing go now I think ?
I heal fast and I'm assuming 3.9 is enough to be normal ? And fight stuff off ? Bloody anxiety. !!!!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
3.9 is fine Mark. Yes you definitely need to let the WBC thing go. My count usually is around 8.0 but I still get the flu on occasion--maybe once every four years. Hope you can still enjoy the holidays. Please feel free to call on me anytime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So as you said before 3.69 3.9 is fine to be normal. Do lots of people run low normal ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
A fair number of my patients sit there Mark and they do just fine. You really need to stop thinking of yourself as someone who's set up to get some dangerous infection
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As you said I'm fit and all my other bloods are great. !
Thanks again. I can fight stuff off like anyone else. ? Have a great Turkey dinner ! Excellent feedback as usual
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You really have nothing to worry about Mark. And turkey isn't really my favorite--I prefer ham. Never went in much for cranberries or yams or sweet potatoes either but love pumpkin pie. Take care til we meet again.