Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a strange experience on christmas eve. I was driving

I had a strange experience on christmas eve. I was driving in a town i know very well but suddenly couldn't find my way around. It took me 2 hours until things return to normal. During that time i was fully aware of everything i knew where i wanted to get i could not visualise it in my mind but somehow i couldn't link the roads together to find my way there. I have had similar experiences in the past i would say about 5 in total over the past 12 years the last 1 was about 6 years ago and lasted about 1 hour this was the longest i have ever experienced it for. My concern this time is that although eventually i did return to sort of normal that is i could find my way again. I don't feel right something feels wrong in my head but i can't put my finger on it i feel not really dizzy but as if i'm going to become dizzy . I don't feel stable enough to go in the shower. But i don't fall over when i'm up in the bath it's almost like i feel fine in one respect but feel strange. I am 52 years old.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Are you on any medication?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond and interact.

Customer: Yes i am on then venlaflaxine or depression have been on that for about a year now. Also on carbamazepine epilepsy medication have been on that several years and i'm fully controlled
Dr Uzair :

This seems to be a mild form of dilirium which can and can not be associated with your Depression.

Dr Uzair :

Venlafaxine is also known to cause confusion episodes like this.

Dr Uzair :

While the above may be a more probable cause of the recent episode you experienced, I would still have you see your Neurologist for a work up.

Dr Uzair :

An Echocardiogram, a carotid doppler and a Neurological exam are in order.

Dr Uzair :

Other conditions that might have caused this recent episode need to be ruled out before we attribute this to depression or medication side effects.

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have more queries.

Customer: Thank you. Is there anything you can suggest i do in the immediate future before i can get to see my gp to arrange tests excetra?
Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you avoid driving and tasks that require good cognition.

Dr Uzair :

Take your medication regularly and keep yourself well hydrated.

Dr Uzair :

And try to avoid stress and anxiety in the meanwhile.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.