Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Is a SUV Max of 5.2 high on a pet scan

Customer Question

Is a SUV Max of 5.2 high on a pet scan
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

The "brightness" of a hot spot on a PET scan is measured in SUVs which range from 0 for no uptake to 15 for maximal uptake. Most cancers are above 2 or 3, but some highly metabolic normal tissues can be in this range as well, though usually closer to 2 or 3 than to 15. 5.2 is a cancerous lesion

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see thx . How come some are very high then and some not ? Does it depend on the aggressivness ?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
SUV is standardized uptake value. It is a measure of metabolic activity. Those cells that are more active and dividing more rapidly have higher uptake. It also depends on where the cancer is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's colon cancer . The primary was all removed but a recent pet showed this liver met and 1 node . So lower the uptake the better it is right ?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Yes I know, you have posted multiple questions. No, it is not better if it is lower uptake, it is just a reflection of where it is located. This suv indicates cancer. A lower suv is not a better cancer and a higher suv is not a worse cancer. Colon cancer prognosis depends on the stage of the cancer at diagnosis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

at diagnoses was stage 3, recent scan has indicted this .can further mets appear on irinotecan ?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Yes more mets can always appear. Unfortunately this is how colon cancer progressses. Stage 3 is divided into 3a, 3b, 3c. Survival rate at 5 years is dependant on the stage.