Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have severe painful constipation - no movement for three

Customer Question

I have severe painful constipation - no movement for three days - I have taken three doses of lactulose and used a suppository, but without relief. I am having hot sweats and don't know what else to do. I am 93. Denis Downes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Denis. Have you had this problem before? When did you last have a colonoscopy and is your doctor aware of this problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am taking co-codaml for rheumatic pain, and wearing a buprenorphine patch which doesn't help. My doctor is not aware of it. It has never been so severe.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Denis and we can continue after this if you'd like. You may have a fecal impaction--a hard ball of stool in the colon that is resistant to the lactulose and the suppositories. That said, if you haven't had a colonoscopy lately you need that since this could be from colon cancer and not from the buprenorphine patch. You need to stop the lactulose and the suppositories and get in touch with your doctor immediately. If you can't reach him you need to get to A&E right away. You may need either emergency colonoscopy or manual disimpaction to relieve this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh dear I'm scared stiff and I don't want to go to hospital.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand but I was obligated to give you my thoughts. It may just be a simple fecal impaction and not cancer but at this point it needs to be treated before it gets any worse. At least get in touch with your doctor as soon as you can
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. I will take your advice and contact doctor.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Denis but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you