Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi - Thank you for your time. I have a small lump in my groin

Customer Question

Hi - Thank you for your time. I have a small lump in my groin area - inside my left thigh and it gives me a lot of discomfort when i walk as it rubs against the thigh. The lump is the size of a peanut and i wondered where to seek medical help as a first port of call. Grateful for any help and i would like this to be checked out soon as possible
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to this lump in groin. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Since how long you have noticed this lump?
Do you have any recent history of infection or fever?
Any other symptoms in your private parts?
Are you sexually active?
I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Doctor Robert,

I noticed the small lump a few weeks ago.

I am down with a terrible cold - blocked nose, thick phelgm, dry tickly throuat and cough which has coincided with the discomfort ( i am taking Night Nurse (Day and Night medication to tackle this cold - grateful for any advise on that

No other symptoms

I am not sexually active

Thanks again.

Derek

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
One last question before I give you the final answer:
Do you have the enlarged lump in groin & the cold symptoms(blocked nose, thick phelgm, dry tickly throuat and cough) simultaneously) ?
I mean since how long you have the symptom of cold?
I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the cold symptoms for almost a week - got worse in the last few days and has coincided with the increased discomfort in the groin area.

I noticed a the little lump inside my left thigh about a month ago - did not think much of it as i was able to walk, cycle, run and do everyday activities without any pain or discomfort.

It is only in the last three days that when i walk and mu =y thighs rub against it each that i feel the pain. As mentioned previously, the lump which is the size of a peanut sticks out.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing again quick additional info.
The peanut size lump you are having in groin inside the left thigh since last few weeks is most probably enlarged lymph node.
Lymph node infection is called Lymphadenitis.It is a common complication of certain bacterial infections such as streptococcus or staphylococcus.A biopsy and culture of the affected area or node may reveal the cause of the inflammation.
Swollen lymph glands are usually a sign of infection and tend to go down when you recover.
Lymph node infection is a very common complication after bacterial infection.
As you now got the sore throat,cough & other symptoms-this further aggravates the enlarged lymph node & hence you start feeling it painful now.
So bot***** *****ne is that your lump in groin is most probably because of bacterial infection.So my best advise for you is to consult your GP/internal medicine doctor regarding this.Most probably you will be prescribed with antibiotics & anti inflammatory medications to cure this.
There does not seem to be anything serious or dangerous here.It is a curable condition.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Doctor Robert,

Thank you for your advise.I will be contacting my GP in the next week for a check. Are you able to recommend any doctors in the London area?

In the past i have found getting an appointment at my local GP to be a nightmare and i would rather pay medical help from a private medical professional if at all possible.

Besides, i suffer frequent bouts of heavy cold which usually knock me out with my ears and nose blocked and sideeffects of headache etc...

Please are you able to recommend some remedy? Thanks for your advise - very helpful.

Regards.

Derek

Dear customer
You can consult :
Dr Melvin Lobo
London Bridge Hospital *****
London, SE1 2PR
Tel:+44(###) ###-####
Dr. Michael ***** *****
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital *****
SW109NH London, Greater London
Tel:(###) ###-####8000
For relief from headache you can take:tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter.
Afrin is a brand of nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion that is available over-the-counter.The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride.
Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.
All these are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly in nasal congestion,headache & cold symptoms.
Thank you and Happy new year 2015.
Hope this helped.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert