Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

i have type two diabetes and have just taken my sugar levels

i have type two diabetes and have just taken my sugar levels which are at 20. the reason i checked them was because the fingers of my left hand are tingly anda little numb, should i get in touch with my dr straight away or can it wait till nomday
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to thing tingling & numbness in left hand fingers.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
Yes,you can see your doctor on monday.This is not an emergency.
Regardless of when you last ate, a random blood sugar(RBS) level of 11.1 mmol/L or higher suggests diabetes. Your value of 20 mmol/L is very high.
The symptoms of tingling sensation & numbness you are having on left hand is most probably due to a condition called diabetic neuropathy.
This is due to complication of diabetes. It is a peripheral nerve disorder caused by diabetes or poor blood sugar control. High blood sugar can injure nerve fibers throughout your body, but diabetic neuropathy most often damages nerves in your legs and feet.
Physical examination, including nervous system (neurological) and sensory tests, diagnose neuropathies.
Although this is not an emergency condition for which you need to go to ER,but this is of concern.
Treatment is to control the blood sugar level with prescription medications.Analgesics, low doses of antidepressants, and some anticonvulsant medications may be prescribed accordingly.
So I advise you that yes,you can wait & visit your doctor on monday for examination & hence treatments accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry i wrote down the levels wrong the levels are actualy 29

Dear customer
Thank you for replying back.
Okay.
As you said that your blood sugar level is 29 mmol/L, this is much higher.
Again this is not an emergency that require a visit to ER.
Your poor control of blood sugar level might have damaged the nerve causing diabetic neuropathy.
Diabetic neuropathy is a very common complication of diabetes.
Hope this helped.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert