Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I'm concerned about my wife, she is 59 and normally in good

I'm concerned about my wife, she is 59 and normally in good health although we have both had this chesty cough / achy body thing that's going around about six weeks ago and it just doesn't seem to totally go away (but this may not have anything to do with my concern today). At about 6am (3 hrs ago) she unusually woke me up saying that she was having a whooshing feeling in her head and was scared, it was the second time that it had happened, she felt that everything was coming towards her. It seemed to last for approx 1 or 2 mins and over the following 30 minutes probably had about 5 or 6 more of these, the way she was explaining it I got the impression that it was the feeling that you get when you get up too quick and go dizzy and things go fuzzy and numb in your head. After the 4th or 5th time she said she felt as if she needed to be sick or go to the toilet (number 2), she wasn't sick but did go to the toilet. It seemed to be 30 minutes or so and she had another of these. She is now fast asleep and didn't hear me when I have gone upstairs and stood next to her on two occasions now. A 3 days ago she complained of a pain in her neck which the day before yesterday had travelled down to be a muscle ache / pain down to her upper back and shoulder blade area, I am wondering if the whole run down / pulled neck, trapped nerve? thing could be causing this dizzyness etc???????
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Customer:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is the symptom that is bothering her the most?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Is it the feeling in her head?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Can you please elaborate more on the 'whooshing' feeling that you are having in the head.

Customer:

As per my original question I can only say that she was scared and actually said at one point "I don't want to be a cabbage". The way she was explaining it I got the impression that it was the feeling that you get when you get up too quick and go dizzy and things go fuzzy and numb in your head. I can't say any more because swhe didn't say anything else and she is asleep now.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Has she ever had these symptoms in the past prior to these episodes?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Does she have any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Is she on any medications for anything currently?

Customer:

No and no

Customer:

Only Ibuprofen occasionally for the neck pain

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Has she recently been seen by a doctor or had any blood tests or any other tests?

Customer:

No the last time she went to the doctor was probably two years ago for the flu jab

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

She certainly does need to be seen for these symptoms and at least have a routine blood workup and examination done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Causes in the brain and the nerves like you mentioned need to be ruled out.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It could be related to her neck problem that she has been having.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

She may require a referral to a neurologist.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

She may require a CT scan or MRI of her brain just to be on the safe side.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

In the vast majority of cases this is not something serious.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anything else that you would like to add or ask?

Customer:

If you can't suggest anything else, the I suppose that is it, although your systems has just taken some more money saying that you can help further?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please do not accept that

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its just an automated message

Customer:

I already did accept it?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You did not do it

Dr. Shahzad MD :

because I would have known it

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Or even if you did, you are not charged.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions that you would like to ask?

Customer:

Okay so is there anything else to recommend?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

No, the bot***** *****ne is that she requires further evaluation by testing like CT or MRI and blood tests and clinical examination. It seems UNLIKELY to be anything serious but to be on the safe side and considering her age I would still like that she should be investigated further, also considering that she has not been examined and worked up in a long period of time.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards