Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi doctor, ive suffered with anxiety for years on and off.

Customer Question

Hi doctor, ive suffered with anxiety for years on and off. Been feeling really well for nearly a year. Ive suddenly started feeling very spaced out and strange like im not in my body and its scaring me alot. Im convinced im going to die. Been speaking to a doctor on here but id appreciate your views aswell?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. How long has this been going on now? Are you taking any medications for your anxiety? Can you tell me a little more about this feeling you're having?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its been about a week now. Ive been taking sertraline around a year. About a month ago the dose was reduced from 100mg to 50mg. Its so hard to describe the feeling, its like im sitting but im not in my body, im convinced im going to die any minute and just dont want to do anything just feel really scared

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Rosie. Why was the dosage reduced? And for the past couple of days have you been doing your routine daily things like work or getting out, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The doctor reduced it because id been well for a while. Im finding it hard to do anything even something as simple as making a cup of tea. What do you think is wrong with me?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Rosie. First take a deep breath and relax. I think the problem is the reduction in the dosage of the sertraline that's just now catching up with you. If you can hang on for a few more days until you can get in touch with your doctor and see if he'll increase you back to the 100 mg I think you'll be just fine. For now you need to force yourself to be active--get out, take a walk, talk to family and/or friends, etc. I promise you you aren't about to die
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you really think so? Im so scared. How can i feel so terrible?

How do you know im not dying?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well this sounds like an anxiety problem and quite often that can make one think they're about to die. If you can't hang on until you can get in touch with your doctor, get to an urgent care center or to A&E and have a doctor check you out and assure you there's nothing physically wrong with you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is spaceyness a sign that you are going to die?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, not at all but that kind of feeling often accompanies a bad anxiety condition
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have felt like this before just under a year ago but i always think it feels different. When i look back to conversations ive had i always mention this feeling.

What would happen if i was dying?

If not anxiety what else could the spaceyness be?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, it's a little hard to know exactly what you mean by spacyness but if not from anxiety it could be a problem with anemia or a low thyroid condition so if I were seeing you I'd check for those, but neither of those would kill someone. Listen--since this worries you so much get to a doctor today--either urgent care or A&E so a doctor can examine you, do some blood work, and assure you that you aren't going to die.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ive had quite alot of bloodwork done already as im pregnant. Would any problems have been picked up in this?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Most likely so but you did ask what physical things would maybe cause spacyness so those were my thoughts. Seriously Rosie--I don't think you're going to die but there really isn't anything more I can tell you about all this. Either hang on until you can contact your doctor or see a doctor sooner just so you'll be able to put away the fear of dying. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok i wish i could describe how i feel better but its hard to explain. Its like im sitting but im not in my body and im floating away

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand but that isn't something that means you're about to die. At least get up and get active--that will help for now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok im sorry for going on and on just hate feeling like this

Just finally would i have other symptoms if i was going to die?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No problem--I fully understand how concerned you are about this. I'm not going to go into symptoms of dying here--that would only increase your fear. Just take it from me, I've seen what you're going through with many patients and I am sure you aren't about to die Rosie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou, everyone tells me the same thing but i struggle to believe it. Its absolutely awful. I feel like im the only person in the world that feels like this and theres no way out

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--you aren't alone with this Rosie--lots of people have the same problem. You'll be fine but you have to hang in there until you can talk to your doctor. Be sure to keep in touch with me and, again please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok ill try my best to do that.

One thing i didnt mention. My legs feel weak and its like im not in control of my body..

Is this also anxiety?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Yes that's just anxiety. Let me know how it goes for you Rosie

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My heart is now racing and i really feel like im going to die. What can i do? Ive spoken to emergency doctor but cant so anything for me till my gp opens again

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What did the doctor say Rosie?