Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi, Merry Christmas! My name is ***** ***** I am 30 years old.

Merry Christmas! My name is ***** ***** I am 30 years old. I have been sick for 3 days with throat ache and my tonsils were inflated. But I had no fever and began feeling better after the 3rd day, on the 24/12.
The thing is, on the 25th I only had runny nose so I went out, spoke on the phone, drank 2 glass of alcohol etc. and by the end of the day my voice was hoarse. In the morning (yesterday) when I woke up my voice was gone and my larynx is sore and it hurts when I cough and yawn. I have checked online and for the past 24 hours I have been drinking warm teas and chamomiles, lots of fluids and have been resting my voice.
I would like to ask if there is anything else I can do?
When should a doctor see me? I have heard that there are other forms of laryngitis which require urgent attention. When should I begin to worry, are there any symptoms I should keep an eye out for? Thank you in advance for your help
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

most laryngitis is caused by viral infection or voice strain.

Dr. David :

if you start to develop fever or pus out of your tonsils then you should see a doctor to get a throat swab and throat culture to check for bacterial strep throat infection.

Dr. David :

you should be gargling with warm salt water multiple times a day as well to help kill bacteria and viruses in the back of your throat.

Customer:

I have been gargling with warm salt water and apple cider vinegar

Dr. David :

I would skip the vinegar which can worsen your sore throat.

Customer:

Ok. I also have a cough sometimes with phlegm (white or yellow) , but when should I expect my voice to recover?

Dr. David :

your voice could take several more days to get better.

Dr. David :

you can try using robitussin to help with your cough

Dr. David :

if your cough gets worse, you should see a doctor and get a chest xray and sputum culture to check for pneumonia.

Customer:

I have also read that in some cases the larynx may swell enough and create difficulties in breathing especially at night should I worry about that?

Customer:

Robitussin needs prescription?

Dr. David :

no, you should not be worried about breathing.

Dr. David :

don't let your anxiety get out of control here.

Dr. David :

robitussin is over the counter

Dr. David :

you can buy it at your local drug store

Dr. David :

like Boots.

Customer:

ok Im trying to remain calm but of course I worry

Dr. David :

yes of course.

Customer:

because the cough causes some chest pains sometimes and when I cough or yawn the lower part of my throat (probably the larynx) aches

Dr. David :

yes, that can happen.

Customer:

and wanted to know if that is normal or reason to begin to worry

Dr. David :

you should be taking your temperature once a day to check for fever.

Dr. David :

if your sputum of your cough gets more yellow or green or foul odor, then you need to go see a doctor

Dr. David :

if you start to have fevers over 38.5 celcius , then you should see a doctor.

Customer:

I do, I have 36,6 degrees Celsius usually

Dr. David :

that is fine and normal.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

ok :) can I also take paracetamol for the throat pain or it won`t make any difference?

Dr. David :

yes, you can take paracetamol

Dr. David :

that will help.

Dr. David :

you can also try cepacol throat sprays or throat lozenges to help your throat pain.

Dr. David :

ask your chemist about Cepacol.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your time and help. And I hope you have a happy new year Dr. David!

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician