Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Can nano knife procedure used for metastic colon cancer

Customer Question

Can nano knife procedure b used for metastic colon cancer ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Yes it is being used nowadays. However the best option at present which is associated with a survival plateau and the greatest likelihood of cure for patients is surgical resection.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok . Can surgery or ablation he done with a liver met ( single ) and a aortocaval node ?

why have they only recommended chemotherpay ?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

His doctor would be in the best position to answer this question. However nowadays surgical techniques have improved and previously inoperable cases are also being managed surgically. Sometimes patients who had initially unresectable disease, these patients may become resectable after induction chemotherapy. Hence this could be the reason. However these are only my guesses and asking his doctor about his plan of management would be the best approach in this case.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is prognosis good with limited mets? Ie up to 5 Years

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

What I can say is that compared to the past the prognosis is much better nowadays. However for an individual case the staging and grading of the tumor is best done by his doctor and then the prognosis can be determined.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see . At present for a 16 mm liver met and 10mm aortocaval node it's not that bad then ? Is the node size large ?

Dear customer,

Yes with appropriate management in most patients the five year survival rates have improved.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is the aortoaval an organ ? Is it risky to remove a node there ? They say that due to the node need chemo .

Is a 10 mm node large?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

It is a lymph node. Generally in patients having non liver metastasis who respond to chemotherapy, surgery may be considered if a complete resection of the disease sites is feasible. Yes the nodal metastasis is large and surgery is risky. Therefore his doctor needs to continually reassess with cross-sectional imaging and response to the treatment for the best management.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But 10 mm is only 1 cm right ? An the chemo cure the node ?

Dear customer,

A metastatic node of 1 cm is significant. Chemotherapy can be curative in certain cases, however surgical resection is the primary goal for preoperative chemotherapy.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see. Could there be any reason y they said just chemo .? Do they think nothing can

b done? Ppl with several mets even have ablation / resection so

i was puzzled as to why in this case with 2 they only want chemo

Dear customer,

Maybe it was inoperable due to close proximity to a vital organ hence surgery was not considered. However the only definite answer on why only chemotherapy was considered can be provided by your treating doctor.

Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can further mets appear while he on chemo (irinotecan ?)

Dear customer,

I am sorry to say this but if the tumor is not responding to the present chemotherapy then further metastatic lesion can appear.

Take care.